RARE Convertible BEARCAT .22 LR + .22 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
When the New Bearcat came out in 1993, it was meant to be a dual cylinder convertible from the start. But soon reports started coming back from the field that the WMR rounds were shaving lead at the forcing cone, with the best case effect being that the cylinder could bind up, and the worst case being that lead shavings would spit out the gap putting bystanders at risk. Ruger ceased production for a year or two to work out the engineering issues, eventually determining that it was too big of a problem to correct. The solution was to stop selling the convertible and go back to single cylinder .22 LR only revolvers. Production of the .22 LR New Bearcat resumed in 1996. Ruger contacted owners of the convertibles, urging them to return the .22 Mag cylinder to them. I think they compensated the owners with $40 for the trouble. About 1000 convertibles were made, starting with SN 93-00500 because the low numbered guns 1-499 were still being reserved at that point for subscription holders and were to be made later (they were eventually made in 1999 but in LR only). It is estimated that around 400 of the Mag cylinders were returned, leaving a handful of convertibles with both cylinders out in the wild. This is one of them. Condition is very nice, possibly unfired, but I did notice a small spot on the LR cylinder that has no bluing. I'm not sure whether that was caused by a spot of oil during bluing or whether it is a wear spot. The last pic is a close-up showing that spot right at the second period in "L.R.". The box and papers are not present. The correct box is a yellow and black hinged lid type with no end label. The information denoting the make, model, serial number, etc. was only printed on a label applied to the cardboard shipping carton. Boxed examples of this model complete with shipper, manual, and recall letter tend to change hands in the $1500-2000 range with a 2020 RENE valuation of $1650. I am pricing this one to reflect the fact that it has no box or papers. The Bearcat convertible is the cornerstone of many Ruger collections.

(moved to GunBroker)

9xwsBPA.jpg