Security-9 Compact Opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rugeraz

Bearcat
I've recently found myself looking longingly at Rugers new Security-9 Compact. The looks of the pistol and it's very attractive price has really grown on me and, although I don't need another pistol and my wife would certainly not be happy if I started talking about buying one, I nonetheless find myself wanting to go the nearest gun store to fondle one. :D

So, what are the opinions on Ruger's newest compact? Please talk me out of this foolish endeavor. :(

miniman

Single-Sixer
seems it does not do anything better then the ec9s.just more rounds and weighs more.i hope that they are as accurate as the ec9s.

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
Just purchased one from a LGS. $312 out the door. It looks & feels hefty. I like the small size with a 10+1 capacity. It's fairly lightweight and flat plus it carries nicely concealed inside the waist. I'll be firing it for the first time shortly stoked with Blazer 115gr. FMJ.
ikG0YIf.jpg

WestTex

Single-Sixer
Grip is way to short. Will need extended mag.

Feels like it was designed by 2 different groups with stated goals totally unrelated.

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
Did some shooting today. I've now put a total of 200 rounds thru it (Security 9 Compact) with Blazer Brass and Magtech 115 gr. FMJ.
Happy to report no malfunctions of any kind so far.

WestTex

Single-Sixer
dogtag69 said:
Will the 15 round mags from the full size fit in it.

Yes, and for $9.95 you can get a slip on sleeve (from Ruger) to fill the gap as it were.

langenc

Single-Sixer
WestTex said:
Grip is way to short. Will need extended mag.

Feels like it was designed by 2 different groups with stated goals totally unrelated.

Looked at the posted pic and frist thought was "needs more grip."

LPRoad

Bearcat
It comes with an extended mag baseplate for those who don't to wrap a pinky under. Frankly the stubby grip is why I would buy this gun. I prefer to carry at 3-4 o'clock. It is the grip that tends to print. If I wanted a longer grip, I'd get a different gun.

I would be interested in a long term review. I see this gun as a competitor to the G26, which is pretty well established.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I picked one up a couple weeks ago, took it to shoot. Used all reloads. First round failed to feed from the mag. After that, everything I ran though it worked just fine. Several mag changes, several bullet weights and styles. Worked perfectly and recoil was really nice for the size of the pistol and grip length. Almost every round was a headshot at 30 feet. Handed it off to a friend (experienced shooter too) and same results, all headshots. The extended mag baseplate made a big difference. Easy to field strip and clean, easy to reassemble. I'm happy with it.

s4s4u

Hunter
I'll keep my American Compact, but I think with a pinky hook mag baseplate this might be a good carry piece. I agree the handle is usually the hardest thing to conceal and this takes care of that.

hollywood63

Bearcat
I picked one and have 300 or so rounds through it and love it. Its a lot more accurate then I am and its going to be the new carry item

dogtag69

Bearcat
Have been looking at a lot of small guns lately Ruger Sig Springfield Taurus S&W shot all of them but just couldn't get the compact security off my mind trigger was better so I ordered one after transfer fee it will be 293.00 wanted to buy local but best price was 319.00 plus tax

hollywood63

Bearcat
Michigan does not collect tax on that type of sale. I just ordered one from Buds and the local dealer just charges the transfer fee to make a nickel.

dogtag69

Bearcat
dogtag69 said:
Have been looking at a lot of small guns lately Ruger Sig Springfield Taurus S&W shot all of them but just couldn't get the compact security off my mind trigger was better so I ordered one after transfer fee it will be 293.00 wanted to buy local but best price was 319.00 plus tax[/quot

I canceled the order because they charged my card when I ordered and after several days they hadn't shipped still showed order processing then found out today they charged my card 10% restocking fee