Truck Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LAH

Buckeye
A couple of mine. I love the 7 1/2" barrels. The top a .357 & bottom a 45 Colt.

20200104_160413%20rss.jpg

gunzo

Buckeye
Interesting 357. Once a Bisley? As I can't think right now of any other 357 NMBH that had a 7.5" tube.

I've always admired your initialed grips BTW. I have a panel that I've penciled my outline on, but can't muster the idea of the patience I'll need to do it, as I've worked with steel most of my life & wood gets away from me pretty quick. Lacking any artistic talent might be another reason I've held off. :wink:

LAH

Buckeye
gunzo said:
Interesting 357. Once a Bisley? As I can't think right now of any other 357 NMBH that had a 7.5" tube.

Yes to drop some weight & canned the Bisley stuff.

I've always admired your initialed grips BTW. I have a panel that I've penciled my outline on, but can't muster the idea of the patience I'll need to do it, as I've worked with steel most of my life & wood gets away from me pretty quick. Lacking any artistic talent might be another reason I've held off. :wink:

These are from another Ruger which I loaned the to a friend & after about 6 months he returned it having relief carved the panels.

LAH

Buckeye
powder smoke said:
Truck Guns, damn right I got truck guns. Glove Box carries a 1911
and a revolver on my hip. Behind the seat is a Winchester trapper 16 in, 3030.
You never know!

A good Winchester makes a fine truck gun.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I really like the 7 1/2" BH's. Makes perfect "truck gun" sense. I'm always wearing a revolver in mine, but also carry one of two rifles, either a Win 94 30 w.c.f. or a Marlin 1894 .357.

Dan

bogus bill

Hunter
How DO you guys describe just what a truck gun is? In a way I could say every gun I own is a truck gun. If I am going to shoot any gun I have odds are I am driving my truck to where it gets shot. MY idea of a truck gun would be a practical beater gun, not one of my collector guns that seldom see`s the light of day out of the safe.
Problem now days is most of us wont leave any gun in the truck for fear of it getting ripped off. About 1978 I was flying my citaberia from california to wisconsin. I used to keep a 8 3/8" S&W 27-2 (357) in the plane when I flew cross country across wilderness areas. Weather forced me down for a couple days at Murdo S. Dakota. I hooked up with the county sheriff and rode around with him. "Mac" kept a cheap single barrel shotgun in his car. So help me he still packed a nickle plated colt SAA .45! I recall only one time that I was glad I had that smith with me. I was flying from Searchlight Nev to Calif in 1977 in my tri pacer. I spotted a C-45 (Beechcraft model 18) ground looped on a remote desert strip.
Soon as I spotted it I was pretty sure it was a druggie plane. I buzzed it and seen no sign of people for miles. I landed to check it out. I was still in CB contact with a couple friends I had left at Searchlight. I told them if they didn't hear back from me in 45 minuets to come and get me. One was also a pilot and had the same air map as me.
I seen what happened. There was a rain gully across the dirt trail/strip and he had to land long. He had to purposely ground loop at the end and knocked over a Joshua tree when he did. It bent the plane up but was fixable.
I got in the plane and copied the title. The six passenger seats were gone and it evidently was used for dope.
I got in the air and radioed my buddy's about it. They had a 4WD truck and headed for it while I flew back to Fox field Lancaster to report it. When I went to the FAA they had nothing on it yet. The next day I went to a lawyer to see what hoops I needed to jump through to file salvage on the plane. The lady lawyer dug up a book on ship wreck laws and basically said I just could salvage it and if the owner was dumb enough to want the plane back I could charge them storage. That night my buddy's found their way to the plane. Spirits were involved. They fired up one engine but couldn't get the other one started. In the process one backed into a cactus and the other had to pluck out some spines. Wish I hadn't missed that! Anyway that morning they were driving out and met another truck with two hippy type men in it with a female sitting between them. They figured they were headed for the plane and gave them time and followed. They came up on them taking off the metal nose in front of the cockpit. My guys yelled to them to leave the plane alone as their buddy (me) had reported it. The people were wearing guns and yelled insults back. My guys, had guns but wasn't about to use them left. They got to Essex and called the San Bernadino sheriffs dept. They sat there almost two hours for a deputy.
Meanwhile I made calls to various people in the FAA. Finally I was given a number of a Vegas cop who on the side did work for the FAA. It was a one sided conversation. He took my number and called me back later. I knew he was checking me out on my job where I also worked security. He told me he had been watching that group for six months and even knew the pilot had been having trouble with one engine! He said the group had murdered and if I was going to go back and get involved with that plane to be armed. (Off the record of course).
My guys got back and built a block, tackle and boom to remove the engines. This had happened over Christmas and now it was new years eve. Four of us went in to look it over about midnight on new years eve. We all were well armed. I went in the last half mile by myself to see if anyone was around. There wasn't. Several trips were involved. On our last trip in to finally get a engine we got there to find the plane on its belly with the gear gone, the engines gone and the oil lines cut with oil still dripping out! We got nothing but it was a adventure.
A couple years later I landed by a FBO at California city. There was a C-45 parked there. I quipped to the manager I once owned one like it for a day. Then told him the story. It shook him up. He said I got burnt on the same deal! A group had hired him to dismantle the plane and haul it out. He did and got stiffed!
Now I am old and disabled but it was fun.

Arky

Single-Sixer
A truck gun is one you don't mind banging up or losing. Mine is a Tarus Tracker 4in in .41 mag.

LAH

Buckeye
bogus bill said:
How DO you guys describe just what a truck gun is?

When I say truck gun, guess I mean when you're away from your dwelling place in whatever moves you around. In my case it's the GMC or my Chevy Tracker. For others it may be an auto, ATV, motorcycle, horse, etc.

And then it's what you do while your away. For me it's more about targets of opportunity than anything else. Many of my targets are rocks on yon hillside. The area I call home is filled with roads through the woods so a good sixgun is what I mostly use.

For others it may be more about defense so the hi-cap auto is used with maybe the AR behind the seat. All that is good but mostly for me it's a sixgun & the 30-30 Winchester or single shot Harrington & Richardson.

And I do admit to carrying the CZ 75 most always in my vehicle with 3 extra mags. for serious stuff.

DSC05976.jpg

20150124_152849.jpg

rangerbob

Buckeye
I keep a SR-9E in my F-150 with 2 extra mags and my wife keeps a Taurus 7 shot 357 in her F-150. My issue Crown Vic has a J-frame 357, Mossberg 590, and an AR-15 just in case. My wife took no convincing as we special ordered her F-150. I drove 500 miles to San Antonio to pick up my new F-150 on 12/6/19. Bob! 8)

bogus bill

Hunter
My truck was stolen out of my driveway and has never showed up. I had another attempted theft of another truck and my gf ran out of the house and stood in front of the truck. The window and steering column was already broke. The guy shoved her aside and ran to a waiting vehicle and they got away. I don`t often keep a gun in a vehicle unless I am in it.

You mean one like this that is easily hidden and has been around the block a few times. While most of us would really cringe if we were to drop any of our, this one might just bring a slight shiver instead of a full blown cringe. As you can tell by the appearance, it has seen plenty of use and suffered some unintentional abuse. :wink:

Well I am a Ruger gun thru & thru, & well I like a few others! That being said I have as my 'Truck Gun' is a Older Model SIG 229 in 40 Caliber it is the blued stainless steel, I can shoot it pretty well at what I am wanting to hit after taking a few self defense classes with it. Honestly have not tried the newer Rugers because I am always shooting single actions Rugers for hunting & fun. J/S

Chukar hunter

Bearcat
My truck gun is a H&R topper 20 ga. A long time ago, I made a mistake by cutting the 26" barrel down to 19". It languished in my safe for years. I put a new recoil pad on it and shipped it off for a poly choke. It now is a perfect size to keep in the truck or Jeep in case of a rattler or stray bird during season....nothing fancy but will work.