Ruger LCP II - Customer Service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
I decided I needed a pocket pistol so purchased a new LCP II. I tested it with 50 rounds of PMC 95gr. FMJ and 25 rounds of Hornady 90gr. Critical Defense. Shooting the PMC first I experienced six FTE and figured perhaps it didn't care for the ammo. I then fired the Hornady and things went smoothly until the third magazine. The slide, barrel, springs and take down pin flew off and landed in front of the shooting bench. I took the LCP II home and called Ruger Customer Service. My conversation with the nice lady was enjoyable and she asked me to send the pistol to them right away, she emailed a Fed Ex shipping label to me. I was notified by Fed Ex today that the pistol is on it's way back. I called Customer Support and inquired about what had been done to it. I was informed that the barrel, take down pin, take down pin detent, and slide stop have been replace. Customer service was fantastic. I have many Ruger rifles and revolvers and have never had a problem with them.

No, I wasn't limp wristing it. I shoot IDPA competition and don't have this problem.

I'll let you guys know how the repaired LCP works for me soon.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
gramps said:
I bet that was exciting? Great to hear of Ruger doing the right thing!
gramps

It was very interesting and I suppose somewhat exciting. I'll have the LCP II back on Wednesday. Most important to me is the way customer service handled the problem. Exceptional service, same as I've experienced from Les Baer Custom. Except, I didn't get to personally talk with Les this time! :D

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>The slide, barrel, springs and take down pin flew off and landed in front of the shooting bench<<

Hah...the same thing happened to me once with my SR22! Oddly enough, I never did hang on to it for long. 8)

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
Yes, it was somewhat surprising and I understand why you didn't hang on to yours. I personally have no use for a handgun (or rifle) that doesn't perform properly, especially a carry pistol. However, I've been looking for a pocket pistol for some time and I really like the size and feel of the LCP II. The repaired pistol arrived today via Fed Ex and it is obvious that the barrel and take down pin were replaced. I plan to give it a run for its money on Friday. I'll post range results.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
The LCP II showed up on Tuesday via Fed Ex and I took it to the range today. I fired 50 rounds of Winchester white box and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. All went very well with no failures so I'm thinking Ruger got it fixed. I'll put a couple hundred more rounds through it in the near future.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
Finally got a chance to take her out to the range again today. Another 100 rounds without a hiccup so I think Ruger got it right and I'm a happy camper!

Yay! I have a first gen LCP, as my EDC. I have bagged an armadillo, and a rat with it, cause that is what I had! My only complaint is slide rusting, from where I taped it to paint the front sight white. So now I strip the oil off and put a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on it.
gramps

rimmer

Single-Sixer
RUT said:
>>The slide, barrel, springs and take down pin flew off and landed in front of the shooting bench<<

Hah...the same thing happened to me once with my SR22! Oddly enough, I never did hang on to it for long. 8)

This happened to me with the Taurus P22. It all went off the front and landed in the grass. I picked it up and put it back on and went back to shooting.

I had a number of them shoot off. Cheap take down pins. Learned to buy additional pins and change them out on a regular schedule. LCP's are not the best quality. But they do have great customer service.

Somehow this does not give me a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling. I just purchased an LCP II and awaiting the '7 day waiting period' to expire so I can pick it up. Is there anything in particular I should or could look at to preclude this disaster occurring to mine? Blue Permatex on the pin?

hittman

Staff member
Between my son and I we have 3 LCP-II and have never had a problem; including the pin.

On the 2 "regular" LCPs we had problems with both but, the pin wasn't ever a bother.

capecuddy

Bearcat
Doug in Alaska said:
I decided I needed a pocket pistol so purchased a new LCP II. I tested it with 50 rounds of PMC 95gr. FMJ and 25 rounds of Hornady 90gr. Critical Defense. Shooting the PMC first I experienced six FTE and figured perhaps it didn't care for the ammo. I then fired the Hornady and things went smoothly until the third magazine. The slide, barrel, springs and take down pin flew off and landed in front of the shooting bench. I took the LCP II home and called Ruger Customer Service. My conversation with the nice lady was enjoyable and she asked me to send the pistol to them right away, she emailed a Fed Ex shipping label to me. I was notified by Fed Ex today that the pistol is on it's way back. I called Customer Support and inquired about what had been done to it. I was informed that the barrel, take down pin, take down pin detent, and slide stop have been replace. Customer service was fantastic. I have many Ruger rifles and revolvers and have never had a problem with them.

No, I wasn't limp wristing it. I shoot IDPA competition and don't have this problem.

I'll let you guys know how the repaired LCP works for me soon.

I hope they do this much for me as well. I had two incidents of the extractor, plunger, and spring sproinging into the universe before it was apparent it needed to go back. They have it now, so anxiously awaiting a gun I'll love if it's reliable.

capecuddy

Bearcat
Doug in Alaska said:
The LCP II showed up on Tuesday via Fed Ex and I took it to the range today. I fired 50 rounds of Winchester white box and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. All went very well with no failures so I'm thinking Ruger got it fixed. I'll put a couple hundred more rounds through it in the near future.

Be sure to yell if it acts up again. This is a gun I want to love, but it has to run well. I even got the .22lr version for a cheap ammo trainer and runs like a friggin' top! And it is incredibly identical to the 380 model.

The Security 9 is just like my LCP II's only much bigger..... a nice trio of guns to know and understand well.

capecuddy

Bearcat
Fox Mike said:
Somehow this does not give me a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling. I just purchased an LCP II and awaiting the '7 day waiting period' to expire so I can pick it up. Is there anything in particular I should or could look at to preclude this disaster occurring to mine? Blue Permatex on the pin?

I replaced the extractor, plunger, and spring twice. It sprang into the universe twice. If it's gonna happen, you want it to happen straight away and get it back to Ruger. The only way I was pretty sure of forcing the issue was to Use Federal Low Recoil Hydra-Shok JHP ammo.... not every time but it was in there when at least one sproing happened.

capecuddy

Bearcat
My LCP II 380 is on the way back home from Ruger. Like Doug's, they replaced the barrel and the slide, fired it 32 times without issue and packed it up for the return flight home......due here Monday sometime.

I'll post range results when I get to go.

Latest posts