hogue grip finger groves

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodsy

Blackhawk
I did. I don't think you will like my results. I used a 1" wide stationary belt sander, using the upper guide wheel, and 80-grit belt. Did a good job, but it exposed the underlying nylon "body" of the grip. Not pretty at all. Since it was for a Single-Ten to be used only for hunting I didn't care much. But, I discovered that it also did not accommodate my rather large hands any better, so I made my own replacement wood (over-height) grips, which turned out a whole lot better. Then I discarded the butchered Hogue grip.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
woodsy said:
I did. I don't think you will like my results. I used a 1" wide stationary belt sander, using the upper guide wheel, and 80-grit belt. Did a good job, but it exposed the underlying nylon "body" of the grip. Not pretty at all. Since it was for a Single-Ten to be used only for hunting I didn't care much. But, I discovered that it also did not accommodate my rather large hands any better, so I made my own replacement wood (over-height) grips, which turned out a whole lot better. Then I discarded the butchered Hogue grip.

Scotsman1886.... this is the problem----the "overmolded" concept. The Hogue is not a grip for modification.
David Bradshaw

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Hogue sells a rubber non finger groove grip, I bought one for my SRH because my big fat fingers did not fit in the finger grooved one. Didn't like that one either and bought a non finger groove wood grip from hogue. It had a way larger palm swell that fits my hand great.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I used coarse sandpaper to smooth off most of the protrusions on the Hogue grip on my GP-100. Be careful not to take off too much, I started to expose a little of the under stuff on the back strap area.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You have to slit the rubber vertically at the high points, grind away the under layer bumps with a Dremel tool, then glue the rubber back together after trimming the original cut edges where the high points were so the rubber layer glues flat.