Anyone know the last time Ruger made 3 1/6" SP101s in 9mm?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MG-70

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking of getting a 9mm SP101 and can't find any with 3" barrels for sale. They're not in the current product line. I know at one point they existed, but have no idea when they stopped making them. If I can't find one, I may just buy a 2 1/4" barreled until I eventually find a 3". It's not a must have item; I just want to shoot a centerfire revolver on the cheap.

Are the 3" ones hard to find, or am I not looking hard enough?

Thanks for any and all helpful info.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I believe the last time they made the 3" 9mm SP101s was in the late 90s. I had one but sold it a few years ago. Great gun but you'll likely have to use Gunbroker to find one.

JStacy

Blackhawk
If you can try one before you buy it, that might be very informative !! I had one , 2.25", and the accuracy was abysmal !! It shot 18" low & left at 25 yards with Rem 115's , key holed cast bullets sized .356 and shot 124's high and right of aiming point. I talked with Ruger CSR and he said "the gun was only meant for 7 yards so what I described was expected accuracy" . A good 357 or 38spl +p will out shoot the SP 9mm any day of the weeks. I am sure there are people who have had better luck with a SP101 9MM but not me !

jpickar

Blackhawk
JStacy said:
If you can try one before you buy it, that might be very informative !! I had one , 2.25", and the accuracy was abysmal !! It shot 18" low & left at 25 yards with Rem 115's , key holed cast bullets sized .356 and shot 124's high and right of aiming point. I talked with Ruger CSR and he said "the gun was only meant for 7 yards so what I described was expected accuracy" . A good 357 or 38spl +p will out shoot the SP 9mm any day of the weeks. I am sure there are people who have had better luck with a SP101 9MM but not me !
So did Ruger use a 357 barrel on the 9mm's or use a 9mm barrel on them?

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
jpickar said:
JStacy said:
So did Ruger use a 357 barrel on the 9mm's or use a 9mm barrel on them?

That is a good question ... I'd also be interested in an informed answer

jd

JStacy

Blackhawk
I did not slug my 9MM SP101 2.25 but it key holed 122grais cast sized .356 . The same load out on my STI and S&W 639 shot excellent
I know the chamber mouths all miked .355 . I should have slugged the bore but with .355 chamber mouths , unless the bore was .355 the bullets would not engage the rifling correctly. The best group came from WW white box "target" and they shot 6" low at 15 yards and grouped 5-6" group while the same load from my STI and 639 shot 1 1/2" groups.
If you want one see if you can try it first. Maybe the LCR 9 MM will be a different story.

Latest posts