RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 pm 
Single-Sixer

I'm thinking of getting a 9mm SP101 and can't find any with 3" barrels for sale. They're not in the current product line. I know at one point they existed, but have no idea when they stopped making them. If I can't find one, I may just buy a 2 1/4" barreled until I eventually find a 3". It's not a must have item; I just want to shoot a centerfire revolver on the cheap.

Are the 3" ones hard to find, or am I not looking hard enough?

Thanks for any and all helpful info.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 am 
Blackhawk

I believe the last time they made the 3" 9mm SP101s was in the late 90s. I had one but sold it a few years ago. Great gun but you'll likely have to use Gunbroker to find one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:41 pm 
Single-Sixer

Thanks for the info.! I guess I'll buy the shorter one for the time being.

Cheers

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm 
Hawkeye

You might try the forum classifieds. Perhaps a member has one they aren’t using?
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:11 am 
Single-Sixer

If you can try one before you buy it, that might be very informative !! I had one , 2.25", and the accuracy was abysmal !! It shot 18" low & left at 25 yards with Rem 115's , key holed cast bullets sized .356 and shot 124's high and right of aiming point. I talked with Ruger CSR and he said "the gun was only meant for 7 yards so what I described was expected accuracy" . A good 357 or 38spl +p will out shoot the SP 9mm any day of the weeks. I am sure there are people who have had better luck with a SP101 9MM but not me !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:53 pm 
Buckeye

JStacy wrote:
If you can try one before you buy it, that might be very informative !! I had one , 2.25", and the accuracy was abysmal !! It shot 18" low & left at 25 yards with Rem 115's , key holed cast bullets sized .356 and shot 124's high and right of aiming point. I talked with Ruger CSR and he said "the gun was only meant for 7 yards so what I described was expected accuracy" . A good 357 or 38spl +p will out shoot the SP 9mm any day of the weeks. I am sure there are people who have had better luck with a SP101 9MM but not me !

So did Ruger use a 357 barrel on the 9mm's or use a 9mm barrel on them?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:08 pm 
Hawkeye

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sp101 ... fLWANVKi70

CDNN doesn't have a 3" but they do have the 2.25" on sale. Or I assume it's on sale.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:24 pm 
Blackhawk

jpickar wrote:
JStacy wrote:

So did Ruger use a 357 barrel on the 9mm's or use a 9mm barrel on them?

That is a good question ... I'd also be interested in an informed answer

jd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:46 pm 
Single-Sixer

I did not slug my 9MM SP101 2.25 but it key holed 122grais cast sized .356 . The same load out on my STI and S&W 639 shot excellent
I know the chamber mouths all miked .355 . I should have slugged the bore but with .355 chamber mouths , unless the bore was .355 the bullets would not engage the rifling correctly. The best group came from WW white box "target" and they shot 6" low at 15 yards and grouped 5-6" group while the same load from my STI and 639 shot 1 1/2" groups.
If you want one see if you can try it first. Maybe the LCR 9 MM will be a different story.