RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:58 pm 
Buckeye

powder smoke wrote:
I like calibers that start with 4 ps

starting with 4 is good, with 5 is better! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:47 pm 
Blackhawk

Quick question for you SP101 owners with that caliber. What is the recoil comparable to? I have a friend that is considering one for an elderly relative and was wondering if she could handle it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:56 pm 
Hunter

I dont have a DA in it but have a single six in it. Next to no recoil. It is not much more than a .22 lr. It does have a sharp report.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 pm 
Blackhawk

Thanks, bill. I've read that it's a pretty mediocre round for self defense but it's gotta be better than nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 pm 
Hunter

Hey, I have read it can be loaded up to be as effective as a .38 special.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 pm 
Single-Sixer

There are some good 32 mag self defense loads out now. I hand load with Hornady 85 XTP to get as much disruption as I can on a target.
I have an old 4" 32 mag SP101 that is an easy companion. For a night stand gun I would recommend a flashlight first to ID your target in a darkened room and then apply rounds as necessary if it is not a family member.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:56 am 
Buckeye

fiasconva wrote:
Quick question for you SP101 owners with that caliber. What is the recoil comparable to? I have a friend that is considering one for an elderly relative and was wondering if she could handle it.

The thing he/she may not be able to deal with is the DA trigger pull. And cocking the hammer for single action use on the new production guns can be difficult as well.

I’d suggest to your friend that he consider a S&W 380EZ for his elderly relative.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:44 pm 
Hunter

I have a CC permit and every type handgun and caliber. The one I pocket carry the most is a Sig 238. They are a .380. It`s small and light.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:48 pm 
Bearcat

buckshotshorty wrote:
Recently I read an article about the 32 HR Mag, and one of the things that stood out in my mind was that when Federal created the round they wanted to duplicate the power of the 38 special. I own a Ruger LCR 327 Federal magnum that I rarely carry because I am concerned about over penetration especially when used for nightstand duty (typically my carry gun doubles for nightstand duty); but if the HR Magnum is on par with the 38, I could see using that round for carry and on my nightstand in the Ruger 327 Federal handgun.

So, I guess my question would be do any of you fellow Ruger Forum participants carry the 32 HR Magnum as a self defense round?

Well Shorty i carry my SP-101 4 inch in a cross draw holster during the summer months.
The SP-101 is bigger and thicker then a S&W J frame, yet it’s smaller than a S&W K frame. The 32 H&R works at a higher pressure than the standard 38 Special. Using your 327 Federal for home defense, you have to determine how far or how close your neighbors are to you. Living in a Apartment, condominium, or single family structure will all be key factor’s in determining the ammunition used. The closer your neighbors, the lighter the Bullet weight, further apart a mid range bullet weight. I live in a two storied single family home, my nightstand gun is a S&W model 64 2 inch 38 Special,with Remington 158 Gr LSWCHP +P. There is some distance and some walls between me and my neighbors.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:23 am 
Single-Sixer

Many people doubt the effectiveness of a 32 mag ? I worked in a hospital for 42 years and the most common gun people were killed with was a 22 LR. If you want the ultimate defense gun for the house get a 12 gauge and load it with #4 buck and no intruder will return for a second application !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 am 
Hunter

I first got hooked on the .32 caliber handgun in about 1980 when my Dad gave me a partial box of .32 S&W Long ammo. I looked at that little cartridge and had the same reaction as I had when I first saw my wife at the age of 17....I loved it.

That partial box of ammo sat on the ammo shelf for quite a while and then the .32 H&R Mag. was announced and S&W produced the model 16 to shoot it in. I instantly made arrangements to purchase one and ordered a set of reloading dies.

Whilst I was waiting for the dies to arrive, I went out and shot up that partial box of .32 S&W Long ammo. What a fun cartridge! It was like shooting a .22 LR cartridge, but it was re-loadable. Then the dies came and I started to reload the .32 H&R Mg. and in this K frame Smith, I could safely push the velocity up to where it was a serious competitor to the .38 Sp. Tons of fun and cheap to shoot.

Since then I have bought 2 more .32 Mg.; a Smith 631 and a RUGER Single Six. I also have bought a S&W model 31 in .32 S&W Long and a S&W Hand Ejector, which is an I frame gun and a .32 ACP. To say that I am a .32 caliber fan would be an understatement. As a carry gun? MAYBE, but I thing there are better choices.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men".....PLATO

Amendment X:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm 
Hawkeye

A 90-100gr JHP at 1200 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. Better choices? Of course. For instance, those same bullets at 1600 FPS in the .327 Federal are much better. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:35 am 
Hunter

I have this one in .32 H&R mag. I really havent carried it as a defense gun as I have many others but I am very impressed with it from what I have shot it. Accurate, flat shooting, low recoil. Whats not to like? I think it`s a great woods gun for atv riding etc.
https://i.postimg.cc/tg0rgV5m/Ruger-sin ... 004687.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:10 pm 
Blackhawk

bogus bill wrote:
I have this one in .32 H&R mag. I really havent carried it as a defense gun as I have many others but I am very impressed with it from what I have shot it. Accurate, flat shooting, low recoil. Whats not to like? I think it`s a great woods gun for atv riding etc.
https://i.postimg.cc/tg0rgV5m/Ruger-sin ... 004687.jpg

Didn’t know they made the SS in .32 H&R back then. Yours looks mighty cool.
I bought a new Single Seven birdshead last year. It is a neat little gun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:06 pm 
Hunter

I understand many of the H&R mags have been chambered out to .327 mag but I wont do it to mine. I do have dyes for it and have did just a little reloading for it but I doubt I have loaded up over 4 box`s or so. Been inactive, but it is a nice gun. Here it is again along with a like new about 1958 single six I have.
https://i.postimg.cc/kXSyScf0/top-ruger ... -R-mag.jpg