ruger to compete with sig P365

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnnylaw53

Bearcat
I was wondering if anyone think ruger will be coming out with a new pistol to compete with the Sig P365. the only thing it seems they have now that come close is the EC9S while it seems to be a good weapon it is no means a great weapon. The LC9S was a better choice as I don't really think 3 rounds will make or break a choice for me but the better sights with the choice to install night sights on the LC9S and being very close in size make it a better competitor to the P365 then the EC9S but they stop making it. thanks

scubadad

Bearcat
I don't think so. The sig is at a higher price point and the rugers are "affordable" You can get a security 9 compact and a case of ammo for the cost of just the 365.

I'm still waiting for a compact striker 45 from ruger. Glad I'm not holding my breath

hittman

Staff member
Ruger doesn't make those kinds of semi-auto's with exception of the 1911.

stchman

Bearcat
scubadad said:
I don't think so. The sig is at a higher price point and the rugers are "affordable" You can get a security 9 compact and a case of ammo for the cost of just the 365.

I'm still waiting for a compact striker 45 from ruger. Glad I'm not holding my breath

Ruger makes the Ruger American Pisol Compact in 45.

https://ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/specSheets/8645.html

s4s4u

Hunter
stchman said:
scubadad said:

You beat me to it. The American Compact is a nice gun, love my 9mm. Been looking at the 45

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I think Ruger will have to come out with a new design similar to the P365 and Hellcat to stay competitive in the marketplace.

I've owned and/or shot a lot of plastic pistols. They all do very well at what they're designed to do. I really don't get the need for any to be any more competitive at what they do. How can you really improve on a pistol that goes bang with monotonous regularity, with the same accuracy expectation of all the other plastic pistols?

I think if improvements are really expected or demanded, it's time to step back to the old-school all-metal pistols.

I keep hearing how smooth and accurate these polymer wonder pistols are. Compared to what?

Plastic pistols are a compromise. I'm not putting them down. I often carry one myself. But they are what they are. Plastic doesn't make them phenomenal. It makes them cheaper to produce and less expensive.

Brand loyalty is tremendous. If you could convince the fan boys that any given pistol was as good or better than their beloved SIG or Glock, or any other brand, I don't think most fan boys would jump ship anyway.

I think the new and improved models of any company are there to sell newer models to a clientele that is already saturated. And marketing is very good at convincing the public that the most recent model is in fact, better. :mrgreen:

scubadad

Bearcat
s4s4u said:
stchman said:
scubadad said:

You beat me to it. The American Compact is a nice gun, love my 9mm. Been looking at the 45

I agree the rap is a good gun I was looking for something like an xds size or a lc9 in 45

WAYNO said:
I've owned and/or shot a lot of plastic pistols. They all do very well at what they're designed to do. I really don't get the need for any to be any more competitive at what they do. How can you really improve on a pistol that goes bang with monotonous regularity, with the same accuracy expectation of all the other plastic pistols?

I think if improvements are really expected or demanded, it's time to step back to the old-school all-metal pistols.

I keep hearing how smooth and accurate these polymer wonder pistols are. Compared to what?

Plastic pistols are a compromise. I'm not putting them down. I often carry one myself. But they are what they are. Plastic doesn't make them phenomenal. It makes them cheaper to produce and less expensive.

Brand loyalty is tremendous. If you could convince the fan boys that any given pistol was as good or better than their beloved SIG or Glock, or any other brand, I don't think most fan boys would jump ship anyway.

I think the new and improved models of any company are there to sell newer models to a clientele that is already saturated. And marketing is very good at convincing the public that the most recent model is in fact, better. :mrgreen:

Not interested in a all metal semi auto. Too heavy for carry. And do not believe they shoot any better at all. In fact, I believe the recoil is more pronounced in a all meter semi auto. I spent a lot of time and ammo with the Sig 365, and sorry, not impressed. In fact, it was very close to a Ruger LC9S in recoil and shooting characteristics. For the money, if given the choice between the two, I would go with the Ruger. Shoots just as well if not better, and less cost. Recoil and muzzle flip was about the same. A couple of extra rounds is not worth investing in.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
No trigger safety on the Sig p365. Aluminum frame. Worth every extra penny over the Ruger.

Seems to me that Ruger has always made guns for the middle middle class.... that is their price point. Bill Ruger figured this out at the very first and was a genius at business and manufacturing...and even though I have trouble with some of what they have put out lately ... it sure seems to have worked... Sigs are directed more toward the upper middle class with a little extra cash and others above that.....

Personally I've stepped away from 'plastic' guns and also have never shot a P365 and so have no way to compare it to the LC9 I carried and shot for a while. Being an old geezer now... "rode hard and put up wet too many times"... I'm now pretty much into Metal Sigs... but I do have to say the best shooting pistol I own is a Sig P320 compact with the factory red (Romeo) dot...

s4s4u

Hunter
SteelBlue said:
No trigger safety on the Sig p365. Aluminum frame. Worth every extra penny over the Ruger.

Bet that trigger can't compare to the LC9s. I got mine off G-Bro for $200, worth every penny saved.

Cholo

Staff member
SteelBlue said:
Aluminum frame.
I've handled a 365 and didn't realize the frame was metal. I'm not pickin' nits, but it's actually stainless sell per their website. Amazing!

www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

Well, I have to admit even though I am into Sigs now, I don't really know much about most of their pistols other than the ones I have.... So, I went to their web sight and looked up this very popular p365. You know the first thing I thought.. it looks like a damn Glock. And I know it's just me, but one of the things I don't like about Glocks is the way they look. Just like with a woman, I like curves on the pistol I carry. Second item that turns me off... only in 9mm....

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I like the Ruger LC9s, I have not tried the Sig 365 looks nice but I prefer a safety on my pocket guns and I like that the LC9s is I believe thinner. Either way I like the LC9s. As far as the LC9 trigger it wasn't meant to be easily pulled it does exactly what it is meant to do. I will probably also buy a LC9 to go with the LC9s if I ever see one at the LGS used.

The LC9s has one of the better triggers on the market. Fits really comfortable in the pocket and I have sold and sold more pocket guns thinking that I need the next best thing out there. I always end up going back to the LC9s. Won't be making that mistake again. I will be keeping this one.

Cholo

Staff member
You can get a 365 with an ambi safety. I believe it's the 365-9-BXR3-MS model. Make sure you can live with that tiny grip. It was a deal breaker for me.

www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

Cholo said:
You can get a 365 with an ambi safety. I believe it's the 365-9-BXR3-MS model. Make sure you can live with that tiny grip. It was a deal breaker for me.

http://www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

Agree, the Sig is not a great shooter, very snappy. Much like the Ruger LC9s. The grip is very narrow between the receiver. Not a Gun for larger hands. Many of us had to be careful not to ride the slide when testing the gun. The LC9S has much more real estate to avoid this. I think the Sig will have to go through a few Gens before they get it right. And not sure the hype of a few more rounds is going to change the minds of many shooters or manufacturers. Already seeing 365's hit the shelves of the used guns. and Sig, Please get rid of the hulky take down lever. These guns are suppose to be sleek. I would prefer to see Sig come out with a good solid Single stack with a modular design and the ability to change out grips. That might be the way Ruger will go. If a person wants more rounds, then there are plenty of great double stacks available and no where near the problems like the Sig.

SteelBlue said:
Right you are! Even better!!

I will give point to the Sig over the LC9S for having a steel chassis over the material which appears to be aluminum over the Ruger. I did get about 6,000 rds of good service before I traded it in. Gun was till running fine. The Trigger on my LC9S had become so light and years before had started shooting DAO and never looked back. Especially for EDC. I now carry the Kahr CM9, of which I own two. Nice shooters and all steel chassis. Now my favorite gun of all and the most mild shooting Micro I have ever shot bar none is the Beretta Nano and Now the new Gen APX Carry. My gosh, the build quality on these guns is fantastic. Few parts, (43) modular design, easy to change grips, work on or clean. And A STEEL chassis. And I love the striker fired DAO. Very similar to the Kahr.
When I first bought the Nano, I took it to the range and ran it along side the LC9S. 100 rds through one gun, 100 rds through the other and repeat and then 50 rds of Plus P through both guns. Toward the end of the shooting, I was really feeling the effects of the Ruger on my hand. The Beretta, well I could have gone on all day shooting this gun. I do carry the Kahr more, simply because it is the lightest and smallest gun on the market, and ounces matter. Yes the Beretta is the same size, but a few ounces heavier. And ounces matter. I carry the Beretta with the 8+1 magazine. The Kahr with a 6 rd mag with a Gallaway mag extension of one more round.
In Sept my Nano hit the 10,000 rd mark and still trucking. I ended up buying two more and one with the APX Carry Grip which lowered the bore axis.
Beretta Magazines are Polished Stainless Steel with a Steel follower. Look like custom 1911's.

Point, if you are looking for a Robust build quality and mild shooting gun. Than the Beretta is one tough shooter. Love the gun.
Comparison of standard recoil rates
Diamondback-DB9---9.28
Kahr CM9---------------7.7
*Ruger LC9S------------7.24
*Sig 365------------------6.99
Sig 938--------------------6.99
MP Shield-----------------6.8
Springfield Hellcat------6.78
Glock 43X------------------6.93
Beretta APX Carry/Nano--6.18

Nf5qMd4.jpg

Ruger left Nano right