New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louiethelump

Buckeye
Had to send one back to Ruger. Bought a bronze to replace the one I passed on to a board member and the new one would not time. All 6 chambers would not lock into place unless you cocked the hammer very forcefully. It WOULD fire out of time and out of battery. I did not shoot it. Called Ruger and the nice young lady there told me there was a Wrangler specific protocol and she would have to call me back later that day or the next day after taking it to (boss) I guess. I waited 8 days and got no call back. I called them back. Different girl. She looked up my call from the first time and read the notes. Had no explanation as to why no call back. Said she would call me back to see if she would be authorized to send me a label to ship it back. I asked about a return box and was told no, a label. Had to provide my own box.
Got call back in a few hours and they send shipping label for FedEx and instructions for return by email. Got label right away. Drove 75 miles round trip to the closest manned company shipper which was park of the instructions that it could not go just to a drop point; had to be actual Fed Ex shipper and that I was required to tell them it contained a gun as required by law. It went back Tuesday.

We will see what happens. Will be returned to my home address.

Not all that impressed with what used to be Ruger stellar customer service. Seems special rules for Wranglers.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Louie,
Wrangler specific protocol could be that with certain issues it would be more cost effective for Ruger to just replace your revolver instead of repairing it. Hope your problem is quickly remedied.

Best Wishes,
ADP3

Brules said:
My local LGS has them everyday for $179.99

My LGS sells the few he can get at that price. With sales tax, just under 2 Benjies out the door at $195.30.

So buying from Smoky Mtn G & A at 179.99 + $20 FFL fee w/out tax or extra shipping charges to get a color you want is close enough to a push to avoid the wait.

louiethelump said:
Drove 75 miles round trip to the closest manned company shipper which was park of the instructions that it could not go just to a drop point; had to be actual Fed Ex shipper.

Well, Webster is in the sticks you know. I ate supper at The Market last night. Enjoyed some good greens, sguash caserole, okra & tomatoes, runner beans, fried chicken and roast pork off the buffet.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I am aware of being in the sticks. That is not accidental. You were so close you should have stopped by and we could have done some shooting. We never get trick or treaters here anyway. :)

That buffet is good and my wife LOVES their fried chicken, but with a buffet I tend to eat too much so I try to stay away.

I have to choose between a Leesburg and Brooksville by the airport for FedEx, and the drive is about the same but the run to Brooksville is through beautiful rolling hills and horse country so is more pleasant.

You should stop by and say hello if you are nearby or if passing through speak up. Wife is up north with family so
it is just me and the dogs.

I am hoping they fix or replace the Wrangler. I really like them and the others have all been fine. I am thinking a short pawl is the problem.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
louiethelump said:
Not all that impressed with what used to be Ruger stellar customer service. Seems special rules for Wranglers.

The "special rules" for Wranglers is due to their price and marketing strategy; they're an entry level firearm. Therefore, while Ruger will accept their other firearms back for almost any complaint including finish flaws, they would lose their shirt if they did that with Wranglers.

The ladies should have known that a timing issue is a mechanical function flaw and an acceptable return issue even for a Wrangler; next time they will.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
louiethelump said:
Would buy a birdshead Wrangler in about 4 seconds.

I doubt we'll see that, but we might. However, again part of the marketing and reduced production strategy of the Wrangler. One barrel length, no options except finish.

The good news is it would be a simple grip frame/grips swap. And wouldn't even add any weight; the Zamac grip frame is heavier than the alum alloy. So a steel birdshead frame difference in weight, if any, would be negligible.

Personally, I'd switch to an Old Model alum alloy XR3 grip frame modified to birdshead for the extra weight savings, same as the original OM Lightweight 2nd version (with steel cyl).

Hondo44

Hawkeye
louiethelump said:
I really like them and the others have all been fine. I am thinking a short pawl is the problem.

At keast hat would fix the problem carry up problem.

I wonder if a too short trigger sear or hammer full cock notch. The MIM trigger and the MIM hammer are the new design parts in the equation. And if the hammer is tight to achieve cyl carry up, the slot in the grip frame is likely also a bit short. New production glitches.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Ref the birdshead: I have a birdshead frame purchased and on the way. Not sure if I am going to put it on the Wrangler. We will see.

I put a used aluminum single six frame on the black one and it dropped the weight by 4.5 Oz. There is not room in the casting of a standard frame to home make it a birdshead. Compare the two innards side by side and see what I mean. It could be round butted but then you get into finish issues that are not in do-able but maybe not worth it. We will see.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes you're right. There's not enough material for a full birdshead, only a large rounding of the rear corner. It would need welding (Heli arc on alum alloy). Most welders can also Heli arc.

But the refinish is easy; Duracoat same as the factory finish comes in a spray can now. You can match the gun color or pick another. The can has a button in the bottom of the can, pushing it activates the 2 part epoxy paint, shake the can and you can spray up to 3 hours.

I'm thinking after you clip off the corner of the grip frame, you could fill it with Hy-Poxy H-450 Alumbond 6.5 oz Aluminum Putty Repair Kit or one of a hundred other similar products. File and sand to the shape of the birdshead grip panels, then spray paint with Duracoat. No one will ever know it's not welded. Oh and add a little in the middle of the backstrap where the BH grip is slightly fatter than the plow handle grip frame.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
......and it sort of left a bad taste. I saw this Wrangler in a gun shot and only merly glanced at it without any further examination. It was supposedly the "bronze" color model but was sort of a sickening olive green color. Now I'm not being a snob or knocking the Wrangler, but that coloring is sure a put off for me.

Surely the natural metal or blackened finish is more attractive?

Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bob,

I agree, the burnt bronze is the worst of the 3 colors. I was more impressed with the Wrangler once I picked it up.

But I see no need for a Wrangler in my herd. My only possible interest would be to modify it to my liking with parts I already have just for the fun of it. But that's not a reason to own one and just put it in the safe once I get it the way I want. So I'm relegated to waiting for some local friend to buy one and ask me to customize/improve it for them. It's a beginner's model and I'm way past that stage.

hittman

Staff member
I've got 2 consecutive s/n bronze Wranglers because they're the best looking of the 3 colors. Remind me of the tri-colors I can't afford.

The black ..... whatever, very plain Jane. And the silver looks cheap like a 1960s child's cap gun.

Thank goodness there's a color for every pallet! :lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
I look at the colors & think of the original Lightweights,, which have become collectable in general. There are the Tri-Colored ones, as well as the blued ones. ALL are sought after by those of us who collect.
The Wranglers,, are as noted,, a beginners gun,, albeit a quality built beginners gun,, AT AN AFFORDABLE price for many who are not (yet) serious gun folks. AND they also are a fun plinker for those of us who want a gun we don't have to worry about banging around. Are they a serious hunting gun? No. Are they the best choice for SD? No. Are they good for introducing children to shooting? Yes. Are they good for getting folks a gun on a limited budget? Yes. Are they good for getting folks to enjoy a SA design? Yes.

I agree that many folks may not find them to their liking. But I also look beyond my own preferences,, and see the potential for many other people.

And hey,, if it gets someone interested in SA guns,, where they craze has been semi-auto, black & plastic,, then it's a GOOD thing!

Bob Wright said:
......and it sort of left a bad taste. I saw this Wrangler in a gun shot and only merly glanced at it without any further examination. It was supposedly the "bronze" color model but was sort of a sickening olive green color. Now I'm not being a snob or knocking the Wrangler, but that coloring is sure a put off for me.

Surely the natural metal or blackened finish is more attractive?

Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

Bob Wright

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! What looks sweet to one may not look
so sweet to another. That sir is what makes the world go round sorta :) ps