New TALO Bird’s Head Blackhawk in 45ACP/45C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Is that on the full-sized Blackhawk frame, or the reduced "medium" or "Anniversary" Blackhawk frame? if it's on the smaller frame, I think it's interesting. But since it's not a flat-top, I think it's the full-sized frame. Which says to me it's too heavy.

I kinda like it. The finish makes sense for a gun that may see alot of moisture and grit. Sights are fine too. Not so keen about the stylized barrel-that doesnt appeal to me. I like it is a convertible, so non reloaders can have their pick of ammo selections.

No mention of weight I could see, but I guess it is within a couple ounces of a standard 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

Wiley Clapp, the gunwriter... when he endorses a product, or when a product is produced with his input, they use his name. And in this case, it was he that dubbed this product the CarryHawk.

http://www.taloinc.com/new-blog/2019/10/10/wiley-clapp-called-it-the-carryhawk

I think it has a lot of potential as a quick personal defense gun. The birdshead grip has never really fit my hand, but I like the caliber, and the sights, don't mind the color at all. Just that I've been using the plow handle for over 50 years. I'd still like to handle one and see how it feels and points.

Funny thing about birds head grips. They seem small, but I like them. My hand is wide, and even on a conventional Blackhawk grip, I must place my pinky below the grip. Easier and more comfortable for me to do so with the birds head grip.

I also very much like the express sight.

Everybody has their own idea of what works.

contender

Ruger Guru
No rule against expressing an opinion.

However,, how many posters here have put on in their hands yet? None have said so,, and by looking at the picture & description are passing judgement,, BOTH good and bad. I CHOOSE to wait to see one before I make my PERSONAL decision on liking it or not. If I went solely on pictures or other people's word,, there are a few guns in my collection I wouldn't own right now.
And for the record,, my personal opinion on what I see in the picture & description,, I wouldn't exactly get excited over one. I'll wait until I see one to pass judgement. Yet,, I CAN see the potential for many folks to actually get excited & want one.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I put a birdshead grip on my 4 5/8 Blackhawk once. The grip is too short and doesn't index well. All that weight forward wouldn't help. I took it back off and bought the shorty new vaquero instead. Still doesn't index as good as a Blackhawk but the birdshead grip is more compact so it makes more sense with a compact barrel.

Bear Paw Jack said:
Has anyone heard a price on it? I shouldn't even ask that question as I'm trying to cut back some. Heliman is a real good influence on me. :mrgreen:

https://www.adamsgunshop.com/products/handguns-ruger-0477-736676004775-484

https://www.battlehawkarmory.com/products/handguns-ruger-0477-736676004775-3367

That's a reasonable price, I guess, for a new gun. Problem is I have too many guns that provide the same function. That's one of the problems I believe they are going to run into. And I have more than enough just Single Action guns that will do the same thing. You add double action revolvers of all sorts, and I'm talking 4" or shorter barrels, and then to come along and and offer another one, I think it's may be a tough sell.

Bear Paw Jack said:
That's a reasonable price, I guess, for a new gun. Problem is I have too many guns that provide the same function. That's one of the problems I believe they are going to run into. And I have more than enough just Single Action guns that will do the same thing. You add double action revolvers of all sorts, and I'm talking 4" or shorter barrels, and then to come along and and offer another one, I think it's may be a tough sell.

Already having one is a cop-out. :mrgreen:

I have dozens of guns that are similar to others or perform the same duty. Never stopped me from buying just one more. 8)

And that's why I've always got guns to sell.

Buy high, sell low...Make up for it in volume. :wink:

Gotta remember that real serious Ruger collectors will usually buy anything that comes from Ruger with no intention of ever actually shooting it . . . to "complete the entire set". Absolutely nothing wrong with this endeavor, and if I had a more generous hobby budget I'd likely be doing it myself.

Once again, this is one of those I'd have to personally fondle before thinking about buying one. It does have a sorta "industrial" character that I appreciate, and the caliber is right.

JMHO
:mrgreen:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I am looking forward to seeing one of the new guns. I HAVE had experience with the sight set up, as the same thing is on the blued Single Seven from the same distributor. I bought two and the second one came with plastic grips instead of the promised Micarta. It also had cosmetic challenges and I just presumed it was an end of the run gun and probably ran out of the good grips and slammed it together. I decided to keep and shoot the ugly one and sold the pretty one.

It comes with the XS sights like this new 45 but of course scaled down to single six size. The front sight is much taller than standard and would not properly fit existing holsters. Plus, I am not a fan of a big fat white dot on top of a white line rear blade that is also extra high. The sights came off and a set of standard sights went on.

So, with this new 45 Colt/acp, the goofy sights would have to go. I like the finish and the flats on the barrel and especially the BIRDS HEAD grips.

Latest posts