Single Six auction price $875

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was asked a couple of days ago for an estimate on the price of this LNIB 5 1/2" 22lr/mag single six. I was conservative and tossed out $400.
The auctioneer called me this evening to let me know how far off I was. Just for information purposes the gun came in a pristine box with no handling marks on the blue. The mag cylinder did not appear to have been removed from the velvet bag and was still in the little cardboard box inside the pistol's box. Also in the box was the original sales receipt from 1971 -- $79.
Was this an appropriate price for such a nice specimen? There were 3 bidders up to the $800 mark down to 2 bidders from $800 to the final $875.

contender

Ruger Guru
A few more details may make a lot of difference.
Was it a RSS model, (fixed rear sight) or a SC model?
What was the barrel length?
A RSS4 is quite scarce, and the RSS9 is the second scarcest one of those in general production.
Did is have a "S" or "D" marking on the frame?
There are possibilities that MAY have made this gun rarer to the buyer(s).
As we like to say; "The devil is in the details."

Or,, as sometimes happens,, ESPECIALLY at auctions,,, a few folks get into that "gotta have it" mode & go bidder crazy.

If it was a "normal" production variation,, then it went way too high.

the fact the bidders were there?? and could "see" just what they were bidding on, makes a BIG difference, as well as the "pucker factor" ( how bad do YOU want or need it!) and then there is the possible "two drunks both wanting" ,bidding on the same thing.......most I ever got out of a package like that was in the high $400 range, so be it, no more value, sight unseen........... 8) :roll: :wink:

I gave all the info I was furnished by the auctioneer: 5.5" blue LNIB w/unfired 22 mag cylinder. This may be why my guesstimate was 1/2 of the bid price but even if I'd seen the revolver, I wouldn't know much more than he did. Apparently there were 2-3 folks onsite who had an idea of the possible rarity.

hittman

Staff member
There's an ass for every seat.

Never bothers me to see other people spend too much money on something.

chet15

Hawkeye
We went to a local auction once to bid on some non-Ruger stuff. Being interested in coins I watched three pretty big lots of Kennedy half dollars sell. There wasn't one 40% or 90% silver half dollar in the lot, all clad. I think they were broke up into lots of about $100 each face value. They ended up bringing about a dollar per 50-cent piece.
And you can still get them at the bank... they are still 50 cents face value legal tender.
Chet15

5Wire

Single-Sixer
I'd say your initial take was pretty good and the realized price was am outlier. Here's my track:

Ruger New Model Single-Six Revolver in .22 LR .22 WMR.
Blue Book of Gun Values (39th Edition) indicates between $490 in 95% condition and $675 in 100% condition for this gun. I have 50 recorded prices for this model gun from $230 to $559 over a period of 1 Yrs 7 Mos ending October 12, 2019. The average price as of that date was $389. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. All represented as 95% or better. No distinction for import location or engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $699. The last 46 prices I have for this model since 01/01/2019 range from $230 to $552 averaging $381.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
If anyone wants to pay $800 . . . I'll talk with you about one that is 98-99%, with the
spare cylinder in the cloth bag, in the little box, with a barrel length of 6-1/2" from cyl
to end of barrel. (comes with a left hand leather holster).

Seriously folks, $800+ for one?
You gotta be kidding. :shock:

Latest posts