AMT Lightning 22 Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I figure I'll either be run out on a rail asking this on the Ruger Forum, or I'll get all the answers I need - after a liberal amount of ribbing and maybe some sympathy .....

I just bought two AMT Lightning pistols - actually, 1 complete pistol and a 2nd naked "upper" which is also the firearm part of the assembly. The complete pistol has adjustable sights and a 6" bbl while the other has fixed and is an 8" bull barrel. Each is cut for tip-off scope mounts. I intend to use the 6" with irons and the 8" with a scope. Assuming the uppers aren't a complete PITA to switch out. Which brings me to the "how much like a Ruger Standard is the AMT and what parts interchange?"

I'm hoping Ruger magazines, grips and that aftermarket takedown lever that makes the Ruger easy to re-assemble are interchangeable. Anyone know for certain?

Any info on what parts interchange is helpful. If a Ruger grip assembly will accept the upper, or the bolt of a Ruger drop into the AMT upper - would be making a complete 2nd gun out of the 8" alot easier.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
From what I understand they were a clone of the Ruger MKII.
Ruger sued them and they had to quit making them.
If that is true they should assemble and disassemble just like the Ruger MKII.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I thought the Javelina and Skipper were ahead of their time, and my longslide 10mm Javelina has always been a stellar performer.

The AMT Lightning 22 pistols I have are VG-great guns, accurate and all-stainless, great Millet sights from the factory.
The Lightning rifle (a 10/22 copy) is also a great performer, all-stainless (something Ruger never caught up to) and a medium-weight smooth barrel in a synthetic stock, another feature Ruger took years to catch up to. It fetches squirrels 80 feet above with headshots everytime I take it out. No complaints, other than I must use aftermarket parts f a repair is ever needed (none yet).
I'd love to finally find an AMT upper with the 12 or 14" barrel. They sold those separately. The AMT Lightning pistols also sported scope-mounting grooves on the receiver. Very thoughtful design. No complaints here. I appreciate choices.

I find it interesting in retrospect, that Ruger never emulated the design advancements, rather just called out the lawyers and sued AMT... :? :?

slickshot223

Bearcat
[
I'm hoping Ruger magazines, grips and that aftermarket takedown lever that makes the Ruger easy to re-assemble are interchangeable. Anyone know for certain?

Any info on what parts interchange is helpful. If a Ruger grip assembly will accept the upper, or the bolt of a Ruger drop into the AMT upper - would be making a complete 2nd gun out of the 8" alot easier.[/quote]

I have an AMT upper on a Ruger MKII frame with Ruger main spring and Ruger magazine, works very well!
You have most likely found this out by now!!

dfletcher

Blackhawk
slickshot223 said:
[

Any info on what parts interchange is helpful. If a Ruger grip assembly will accept the upper, or the bolt of a Ruger drop into the AMT upper - would be making a complete 2nd gun out of the 8" alot easier.

I have an AMT upper on a Ruger MKII frame with Ruger main spring and Ruger magazine, works very well!
You have most likely found this out by now!![/quote]

[/quote]

I did, thanks. Pretty much everything interchanges except a few items.

The rear dovetail on the AMT is cut a bit different than the Ruger. The Ruger adjustable rear sight doesn't quite slide in, but some filing on the sight's dovetail base gets it to fit rather easily. Unfortunately, when one adds an adjustable sight the tail end of it covers the top hole in the receiver making the Majestic takedown pin useless - can't reach it with the Allen tool to unscrew from the top.

The trigger retaining pin on the AMT is an e-clip rather than the wire one used by Ruger. It's damn near impossible to get at. I tried a very thin Kelly clamp and couldn't quite snag it. So my trigger has a bit of wiggle to it. That hammer strut device sold by EABCO will fit, but needs a bit of thinning. Doesn't really help much though

Other than those minor differences everything works like a charm.