Help Support Ruger Forum:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I am new to this thread so bear with me please. Other than being Cerakote
finished as opposed to being blued and being a NM action, how does the new
Wrangler differ from an ordinary Single-Six? My state has a tax free holiday
this weekend and one LGS here has Wranglers on sale for $199 and that just
might be the hook that lures me out of the man cave this weekend if this
new model isn't somehow bubba-ized and as such cheapened in some way.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Go look at it, lots of good reviews on this thread, at least one person hated it, $200 wont break the bank to try one.

45flattop said:
Other than being Cerakote finished as opposed to being blued and being a NM action, how does the new Wrangler differ from an ordinary Single-Six?

Briefly . . .

Aluminum main frame instead of steel (like the original Lightweights) and zinc alloy grip frame instead of aluminum.

That's it. Still has steel cylinder and barrel, and the internals are essentially the same as the "normal" NM Single-Six. The fixed rear sight is of the "notch in the frame" type similar to the original Bearcat. Plastic grip panels.

Neat little gun and IMHO certainly worth the $200 or so you can buy one for. Check one out.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
There are a few other minor differences.
The hammer appears to be a MIM one. The ejector rods are all stainless with a blued button. The frame screws have Torx heads vs slotted.

Moey

Bearcat
I was out with it again yesterday , maybe fired 100 rounds thru it. I love it. Sights are hard to see with old eyes but from a rest it was quite accurate. Maybe 2.5 inch at 15 yards. Had a single 10 and hated it. It cost $600! the S10 had sticky chambers, fit and finish was poor, had 2 blue screws on a ss gun. Blah blah blah

Just returned from Sportsman's Warehouse. They had two, one black and one silver. Also, I have to send mine in to Ruger. After firing, the trigger is rigid and won't move. Once I cock it she functions normally, until fired. Then the trigger is rigid again. I tested it against the new ones. The triggers move on both examples after firing. ANOTHER Ruger back to the factory......... Other than this, I like the Wrangler a lot.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I'll pass thanks even at $199 and no sales tax this weekend. With Ruger's recent adoption of the plastic fantastic model of manufacturing, I'll sit on my stainless and blued steel older
models thanks. Unless the ghost of WBR comes to haunt the current leadership and they
turn their direction around to what made Ruger the largest firearms manufacturer in the US
but I won't hold my breath on that ever coming to happen, I like breathing too much.

contender

Ruger Guru
"they
turn their direction around to what made Ruger the largest firearms manufacturer in the US"

Bill started, built & made successful his company by making a quality firearm,, using different methods of manufacturing,, that cost less,, allowing the sale of his guns to the average shooter. This is EXACTLY what the current management has done with the Wrangler & other models. And,, under Bill,, they never met the production numbers they have in recent years. Bill never saw production of 1 million (or more) guns in one year. Current management has done so,, more than once.
And let's NOT forget the complaining that used to happen under Bill. Introduce a new gun,, but not have any in the market for many folks for 2-3 years.
And I know the issue with "quality" will be mentioned,, but let's NOT forget the early years,, where the blued guns turned color,,, and many sent their guns back. Or the ones with "lightning streaks" in the metal. Or,, the stocks cracking on the 44 carbine. How about the top strap flame cutting of the 357 Max? Early Lightweight 22's with the cylinders showing chips in the finish?

My point is that even under Bill,, they had PROBLEMS,, and they worked to resolve them. Current management is no different. Bill was smart in not offering a written warranty but instead, chose to just fix things. It saved MONEY!!!!!!!!
Current management does the same. We just happen to see more problems,, because there are MORE Rugers in MORE hands now. ANY production item,, (not just guns,) are going to have a percentage of product with potential issues. Heck, in my stable,, I have a Std Auto where the rear sight blade doesn't have the slot cut in the middle. The corner is cut. And,, many of the early "mistakes" are now highly sought after collectables.

I currently have 3 of the Wranglers. ALL are still NIB,, (my choice,) and are all quite nice. Fit is pretty good overall,, but NOT perfect! Grip frame on one,, just a tiny smidgen offset sideways. Grips are a little small allowing the g/f to be a little proud.
But for the cost,, they are EXACTLY what Bill built his company on. An affordable SHOOTER for the working man.
And as for the "plastic fantastic" issues,,, we have to accept that much of the average joe buying public prefers that. I, as well as many of us here are older,, and blue steel & wood are OUR preferences. NOT so with the current younger folks. So,, while I PREFER Old Model, 4 click SA's,, I can appreciate that the Company is successful,, selling a lot of guns,, and STILL offering many good SA's for us to enjoy. And,, even now,, with the LCP & Wrangler,, AFFORDABLE handguns for the working man.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger's business model today is akin to Motorola's model in the nineties - build becomes "assemble & test".
- Quality becomes 80% of accepted customer expectation.
- Repair becomes replace.
It is in fact much more cost effective to build to a level of acceptable returns, and replace rather than rework to please individual customers.
- When a customer gets a real shoddy product (or a dangerous one) and that customer stays silent or corrects the product themselves - it is recorded as "acceptable quality".
Value-Added time (VAT) is expressed as customer-expectation time - labor (hands-on) time from receiving to shipping. For example, roll stamping the warning on barrels is not VAT, as the customer could care less. Indexing the front sight to vertical is VAT, the customer expects it.

- Six minutes of labor is the practice, and the Wrangler I am told, is under six minutes of labor to produce.

My Wrangler will never be a Single-Six. Its no beauty. But it fires, and is reasonably accurate for a notch-sighted handgun. It is the lowest-recognized quality Ruger has ever produced, period. I see it as marketing's Hi-Point, the Ruger way. :oops:

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
contender.......................
You are my mentor!! I couldn't agree more with your post. I have 4 in my stable and my dealer
has another waiting for me to pick up. You are spot on when you say.........affordable handgun for the working man.
I am more than pleased and proud to own "Ruger Wranglers".

Super fun gun that will last for generations,
Shorty

mohavesam............

Kudo's on your evaluation too!

Contender is spot on, I carefully read all the QC threads and most of them are about minor finish problems, along with fit "problems" on guns that have never been fired such as canted barrels and gap "issues", there's even a QC thread about a Mark IV that functioned perfectly before it was modified and no longer does...my .22lr SP101 has a slightly canted barrel and the finish on it when new was just OK, that gun is an absolute tack driver and it's been handled, shot, and cleaned so many times most of the original finish is unrecognizable, not to mention the trigger is smooth as silk with the stock springs that so many complain about.

Rural King, RK Guns, snows the silver Wrangler in stock for $189.99.

I just ordered one to pick up at the Rural King closest to me. Net price $214.38.

RK is charging shipping, but there will not be an FFL fee, that saves me $15. Since RK operates in my state, tax was unavoidable.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Gator89 said:

I just ordered one to pick up at the Rural King closest to me. Net price $214.38.

RK is charging shipping, but there will not be an FFL fee, that saves me $15. Since RK operates in my state, tax was unavoidable.

Confused, if the net price was $214.38, why did the ad say $189.99??

I think you confuse net, gross, advertised, and retail.

mohavesam said:
Gator89 said:

Confused, if the net price was $214.38, why did the ad say $189.99??

I think you confuse net, gross, advertised, and retail.

In my simple mind net is the price I pay, but maybe i should have used out the door.

In my work in the feed industry, we weigh trucks of ingredients, there is gross weight, tare weight and net weight. Gross - Tare = Net.

We get billed for the net weight.

Did the same growing up farming watermelons, weigh the truck empty (tare), load said truck with melons and weigh (gross), subtract tare from gross to get net weight, count out cash based upon agreed to price per pound.

Shipping yearling cattle in the fall, there was an agreed to price per pound and usually a "shrinkage" allowance, 2 to 3 per cent was common. So if you shipped a load of calves with a live weight of 40,000 pounds with a 3% shrink, you got paid for a net 38,800 pounds of beef delivered to the feedyard.

The "net" is the bottom line number that determines how much money changes hands.

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Picked up my 5th one yesterday. Need one more black to have a pair of each. I usually don't go this crazy, but I remember
years ago when I was a young man. Then a Single Six (even 4 5/8ths) was $87.50 and I was making about $70 a week.
I'm not a rich man now, but at the price these are selling for, I decided I deserved a pair of each. My local GS says more are
coming and he will hold me a black one.

Please don't think I'm bragging, I'm just feeling lucky at this junction of life to be able to have something I used to only dream
about. I hope you all end up with as many Wrangler's as you want. They sure will put a smile on your face.

Shorty

Latest posts