Loose ERH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

29aholic

Single-Sixer
So I came up with a stone cold mint OMBH 45. Was playing with it last night and noticed the ERH was loose. I backed the screw in and out a few times but it appears to bottom out on the stud before it locks down the housing.

The fix? File the stud a little?

TYIA

Johnnu2

Hunter
Any chance that the screw that's in there is the wrong screw i.e. the original got lost and the previous owner put one in there from a gun of a different era (and it's too long). If you could try a screw off of one of your other OM 45's, it would be an interesting experiment.....Just a thought.
J

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd add a nylon washer to the screw before I'd go to filing. (If the above idea doesn't work.) That way,, it's an easy fix, keeps things more original, and less work.
Also,, have you checked to see if the stud hole is clean in the bottom?

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Leave the screw out. Hold the ERH against the barrel. Is it loose or tight? It's probably tight and that means the wrong screw.

29aholic

Single-Sixer
Stud hole is clean. When I hold the ERH agains the barrel it appears that the shoulder for the screw is below the stud. The gun is so clean I cant imagine this isnt the original screw.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Screw usually too long but could be a combination of any two or all 3 of the below:

1. Hole in the barrel stud not tapped all the way - re-tap with bottoming tap or shorten screw.

2. Or as you observed, the shoulder in the ERH hole is drilled too deep therefore the screw bottoms out in the barrel stud hole before shoulder in the ERH hole reaches/seats on the stud. Screw tight but ERH loose to the barrel - shorten screw.

3. Barrel stud too long therefore ERH tightens down on the stud before ERH is snug to the barrel - file the stud down to just slightly below the shoulder.

Perhaps a small neoprene o-ring from the plumbing department of a good hardware store could be used as a spacer under the screw head to take up the slack.

Latest posts