10/22 front sling swivel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WFR

Bearcat
I found an older walnut stock for one of my 10/22's and would like to attach a sling swivel to the front barrel band.
It already has a rear sling swivel in place and I have spare swivels for the front.
I really don't want to buy the whole Uncle Mike's Kit just for the front piece to mount the swivel to.
What are my options?
Thanks in advance!
WFR

contender

Ruger Guru
While many of us collectors prefer to not alter an older, possibly collectable piece like a walnut stock,, you can get just a stud. Look a bit deeper at Brownells,, and you should find what you seek.
OR,,, to preserve the originality of the stock AND get you a stud,, they make a stud that mounts to the front barrel band. It's the stud, with an extension piece, drilled with a hole to allow the barrel band screw to go through it. Unscrew the BB, open the gap, slip it in, add the screw & you are done!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger made a sling swivel stud for the older 10/22s that mounts to the front barrel band with the existing screw.

That's why the old model existing screws are extra long. You'll retain the original factory set up.

If Ruger has any left, they'll ship it to you free (anything worth under $20.) Call (336) 949-5200.

Does your barrel band screw look like this?
s-l1600.jpg

Here's a kit with the original 10/22 swivel kit with the stud in the middle and two quick detachable swivels:

s-l1600.jpg

Buy Now for $8.00 and free shipping here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ruger-10-22-Sling-Mounting-Kit-Sling-Mount-Adapter-Studs-Swivels-S-4612/162345397799?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item25cc8a2e27:g:jyAAAOSw44BYbL7z:sc:USPSFirstClass!93711!US!-1&enc=AQAEAAAB4BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUn3mst%2FwDZ1LQtp4q81sEpymaFFiWmY9ttRS%2Bh79BLatpVP6Rg3OajlqlH7swVInPFFW6lq9J9xamhPVoUgadURXJlFGrx6iVfvjPvOnYBUSsxhMT9iDuzS1luFT05%2B3%2F5mnokBewnVSL43LChEKP%2F1XSU9EpGT8p6uBg8ZWKvUf9OMUW8B6%2FA5ikWyoD0KR4J13Q6yFx6r4kF0nfoAbKUFwfyL3XDbtI0%2FIRNuc61xC4Ge17K0yHDI%2FRG0pmBOXwMPJzJXypHQdYqHti0KNBGfPKnauIc%2BDvvfiUxOdR4waUw3bHi3cxeWh2BWCKsBu03rp59fK5pKZaSw4hmRNg7GRyl7F%2BqUGnRxS51q6fIQipd0ViLmkM9fCBn00bhaZRmp2YxyTX4k3I65PnAnjTU2BnEiF%2Fw6s0a8oPOKW0%2BLNuVtgMVAQjEKFStk2fmu3DpzDQGOV9oy8wE%2Frqr8maPb9UviIwui5p5j7qjzY4zIP4gGPORZ8jmIgXAeYB2loQK%2Ba30jos8i3bqvX%2FTK9McqOqa5uUj8COXxawNLEJTyIPpeWIR6RQeFBkWfCDJ0YBasRqitgdFnUmj4S7ni9BeEFGsgMyjyyh32CHradrpzw%3D%3D&checksum=162345397799e9126259851f49c9bf9523049f9b7590

Buy it now,,,beats having to make one from bar stock or drill rod, or paying a machinist to turn one on a lathe, drill two holes to fit,,,,duh,can always use or resell the Quick Disconnect sling swivels,,,cannot say how many we took and used over the past 50 plus years.......... 8) :roll: :wink:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Using the barrel band for a front swivel is the more low cost way to go. Installing a front swivel stud into a stock, that may someday, acquire some sort of collector appeal, doesn't need to be a part of the equation. And with only one action screw involved, is not a good idea.

If one were to go with the barrel band attached swivel, the split in the bottom of the barrel band will need to be milled, or filed, wider to allow the swivel holding part to move freely forward and backward, if that option is desired.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I actually prefer the barrel band swivel to be tight so it stays at right angles to the stock, just like the screw stud in the butt stock. When it swivels up and down it allows the sling swivel to touch the wood and scratch it up.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SGW Gunsmith said:
So then, tighten up the screw. :roll:

You need to look at the barrel band mounted on the stock and understand how foolish your remark is. :roll: :roll:

It doesn't look like the band pictured above when mounted on the gun. With the screw tightened, there's a gap left for the mounting swivel to fit and still pivot because it's a factory part, remember, no milling required.

Actually to tighten it from swiveling, you need to add a shim washer.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Doesn't read like you know what you're writing about. The many barrel bands where I have added a swivel need to be relieved for the width of said part. If you don't do that, the barrel band will fit sloppily, unless that's the outcome YOU prefer.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I know what I'm writing about and you know what you're writing about with different experiences. But you made a common beginner's mistake in assuming that there's no variations in swivels and/or stocks when you made your "cute" remark:

SGW Gunsmith said:
So then, tighten up the screw. :roll:

You made a bad assumption or used too big of a screwdriver. I have three early 10/22s in the serial #111 to 118 prefix series and all three will not tighten up enough to keep my swivels from swiveling up and down w/o shims. So in the future I suggest that you think before making any more cute remarks. :roll:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Wow, just brilliant, another absolutely brilliant remark on the subject of sling swivels, Guinness book of records material for most discourteous forum poster. If any members were in doubt, you're greatly enhancing a reputation of knowledge, helpfulness and politeness for SGW Gunsmith on this forum.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
As if you matter? What I mentioned concerning opening up the area of the barrel band to accept the width of the tab for the swivel holder, works. I've done that process way more than on only three 10/22 rifles. And it fits the forearm just fine for the intended job. If one doesn't want that part to move, they simply tighten the screw. DUH! Obviously, that process is way too deep for you? If something like that is too difficult for you to do, you should be able to find a local 'smith who can do the work for you. :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
At least you're back on topic but you just don't get it do you? YOURS are not the only true experiences
and as disappointing as it is for you, you just don't know it all. Therefore your solution just doesn't work on my early 10/22s. And I'm not crushing the stock with the barrel band by using your "get a bigger hammer" gunsmithing methods.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
At least you're back on topic but you just don't get it do you? YOURS are not the only true experiences
and as disappointing as it is for you, you just don't know it all. Therefore your solution just doesn't work on my early 10/22s. And I'm not crushing the stock with the barrel band by using your "get a bigger hammer" gunsmithing methods.

I and, nobody else is suggesting ANYTHING such as that, except you. And here I thought you were a sensible man, not an exaggerating adolescent whiner. At least we get to see what you're really capable of.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ok SGW, what's wrong? Members are telling me you weren't always so condescending and/or bullying as lately, and used to be very helpful, but now even name calling. I hope everything is OK at home and with you.

Take care and all the best,

Achigan

Single-Sixer
Well done Hondo. Good job in choosing the high road! Let us know the solution to your swivel issue.

Latest posts