Ruger's Customer Service Serial # Look Up- Harder to Use

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
I recently was trying to look up an OM Blackhawk Serial Number on the Ruger Website, to determine year of manufacture. I see that it is now more than difficult to use, as the serial number it won't even register. Why was something so simple turned complicated? Sure seems foolish to make things more than difficult. Is there another way to find this information? Thanks

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
Found some other thread info on this, and now understand how to use the new system. Thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SBHRSSSSS said:
Found some other thread info on this, and now understand how to use the new system. Thanks

Yeah, look up site can't always find the gun from just the serial #. You try that but only if they can't find it, then they give the option to pick the model, and they can find it.

The look up should just start with picking the model and entering the serial # on the first try.

Programmers may be smart but don't always seem to have common sense.

street

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
SBHRSSSSS said:

Programmers may be smart but don't always seem to have common sense.

Hondo, you are right. Programmers don't live in the real world. One of the versions of Windows, you had to click on the "Start" icon in order to get to the "Stop" icon. That's the mentality of a someone that write Software. :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted:

Rclark

Hunter
Hey, now I resemble that remark :) . But I always thought I did live in the real world :eek: ... Now I know better.... Is that an elf over there?

I do wish they had both options (old and new). I really never cared 'exactly' when, but the old way you could usually get in the 'ball park'. "Yeah, looks like made in 1986" ... close enough. That said, it could still burn ya, as I have on SS fixed sighted 5 1/2" Old Army with a low 3 digit serial #, but was made in 2003 (thought I may of had a 'special' one so send off for the letter at the time... so not so special) .

hittman

Staff member
Rclark said:
I do wish they had both options (old and new).

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

And this link still shows single action Old Models, Six Series double actions and others that are not on computer.

If you're afraid Ruger will remove this link and the older items from their web site, you may want to print the pages of interest to you.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=150997