Just for an LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Hey guys, my buddy just sold me a LC9 in mint condition... It was such a sweet deal I couldnt pass it up..Can anyone give me the pro and cons of this particular model. It is the model with the exposed hammer.. I was looking at the EC9 but when this thing turns up with a holster for 2 bills I had to have it.. thanx in advance

Rugeraz

Bearcat
My wife carries an LC9 and has no issues with it. The trigger has a rather long pull, but nothing you can't get used to. Some people complain about the take down pin on the LC9 (and the LC9s and the EC9s). The take down pin is not captive - it can be easy to drop on the floor. But again, it's something you just get used to. If you plan on carrying yours IWB, I can recommend Concealment Express. Great holsters. I'm not affiliated with them, just like their product.

Enjoy you LC9.

hittman

Staff member
At one time I had 3 of them, 2 LC9 and 1 LC9 Pro.

All went back to the mother ship for repairs.

All had pins fall out or triggers that pinched your finger or light primer strikes.

All live elsewhere now.

Sold 1 and traded 2 for a new G43.

Never had a problem with the take down pin on mine other than it is tight and takes a punch to get out..... the one issue I guess is that I carried it in a leather inside the waste band holster and the slide on it rusted some....(Old Fat White Man and Summer in S.C.) as well as slight rust on the magazines.... I finally fixed the rust issue by soaking the holster in WD40. The little pistol was surprisingly accurate but did like to kick a bit. I never wanted to shoot more than a magazine or two through it. I still have mine but have traded up a bit for everyday carry.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I use the Crossbreed Minituck. Holds well, conceals well, very comfortable and affordable. It's my "church holster", overwise I carry OSW. I still like the original LC9. It's LOOOOOOOOng trigger pull gives it some unique handling but with some practice you'll get it. never had anything fall off/out. I did add a rubber sleeve to the grip for my big hands, didn't effect the draw nor carry-ability of it. The LC9 is my EDC I got used to it when it was the only LC9, I did try the S, but couldn't make myself change. I think you'll like it.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/shop-all/supertuck-iwb-holster.html

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The LC9 is a hammer fired, double action only. The long trigger is by design and is a safety feature. While a long double action pull, it is a good trigger. The secret is to stage the trigger pull, which takes a bit of practice. There is almost no over travel after the sear brakes which really help. Substantially better trigger than the SW 642 revolver. Have two LC9 with no problems. Easy field strip and cleaning.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Mine (my third) runs flawlessly . I have a few more than six hundred rounds through it so far. Light enough to slip into a vest pocket headed up the trail any day. I think the hammer makes it a better action, and the trigger pull so many newbies complain about is not noticeable in real life, when you need to shoot at something with blood inside.

The Ec9 is a much better value. I'm not afraid to scratch it...

FTR, I had one I bought nib that had been incorrectly assembled at the factory. I reassembled it and fired a few rounds, then set it back. Ruger went through it, polished the barrel bright, test fired it and returned it a new-condition gun. With a new extra magazine and a patch n stickers. Happy dance.

blammer

Single-Sixer
+1 others with positive comments on LC9 and EC9. I have one of each. I like EC9's striker fired trigger better and they can be had pretty easily for under $300. One tip on EC9: put some white or phosphorescent paint on tip of all-black front sight for contrast against dark backgrounds.

I did have some issues with an early LC9 which I've worked around and Ruger may have fixed later. One was that pinky-extension mag base plate would give me fairly consistent failure to feeds on recoil. I just use the non-pinky mag base plate and have no problems.

The other issue was clogging of brass shavings in firing pin channel: firing pin would shave off small brass chips on 'cheap' ammo. Heard that Ruger may have a fix for that as well.

Have not had any problems with my unfixed LC9 since using non-pinky mag base plates and using carry ammo and my reloads.

Like Blume, I have had minor rust on my EC9 from in-pocket carry sweating. My Uncle Mike's holster was holding sweat against the slide, so the slide and the slide stop would get some rust. I did a little gentle fine steel wool buffing of the surface rust to get it out and have put Eexox (sp) on it (Hornday one-shot gun cleaner worked for a while). I've started using a DeSantis holster which has a little more plastic than the cloth Mike's.