How Often Do You Clean Them

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I am not as anal as I used to be.

I shoot quite a bit. A stainless revolver that likely is gonna be shot again soon, might receive a silicone-rag wipe down and a barrel swab and nothing more. if it's gonna be put away for a while, then it gets the full treatment.

A semi auto that is gonna be shot again soon gets field stripped, scrubbed internally with a toothbrush and drop of oil, the barrel swabbed, and again that's it until I know it's gonna be put up for awhile, and then it'll also get the full treatment.

If any of these are gonna be used immediately as a carry piece, then it will get a full treatment, also.

But, blued guns get the full salon treatment, every time.

Put

Single-Sixer
I did an experiment with my stainless GP-100. I wanted to see how long I could go without cleaning. Just how rugged was this gun. My rules were that no corrosion or any real damage could happen. This gun is for target only and not used for defense.
I shot lead reloads. Proper bullet fit and Unique powder (not a clean choice of powder). I was surprised. The first round, I went 1000 rounds with out cleaning. After about 50 rounds the grime and residue did not change much. Accuracy did not fall off. (this is a very accurate gun) It cleaned up to look new. So, I went 3000 rounds. It cleaned up fine. I did 3000 rounds again and again all was fine. At this point I got real tiered of having a dirty gun all the time. It made me feel like a gun slob. (I guess I was).
I am back to cleaning it regularly. I would not have done this with a blued gun. I was surprised at the accuracy from such a dirty gun. The stainless steal cleans up well. I guess that speaks to bullet fit.
I don't think I will adopt this practice.

silverback

Blackhawk
Revolvers and glocks made me lazy. I use do ckean.my guns immediately after a range session. Now after several range sessions and seem then they aren't that dirty.

That lead cloth excellent on stainless.

Nice collection

silverback

Blackhawk
Revolvers and glocks made me lazy. I use do clean my guns immediately after a range session. Now several range sessions go by before I clean . Even then they aren't super dirty and still easy to clean.

Spray down with ballistol.

That lead cloth excellent on stainless.

Nice collection

32magfan

Blackhawk
My late father cleaned his guns after every shooting session but he grew up in the days of corrosive primers and had mostly blued revolvers.

I have many stainless guns and take them to the range most often. I hate cleaning guns so they usually wait until I have an off, rainy day to get them done.

Pop used to joke with me that a clean gun shot better because it was happy. :mrgreen: Many of his guns are still very happy.

32Magfan

jimd441

Blackhawk
I too clean mine each time I shoot them which is typically about 100 rounds. The reason is largely psychological. Over half a century ago I was boyscout and was taught to not let the sun set on a dirty gun. Apparently that stuck with me.

Jim

I also don't clean rimfire barrels unless I have to. Like most people here, I clean my guns after every range session. But for example with my Mark II's I only really break them down around every 2 or 3 thousand rounds, when they start to jam up. Then I go at them with Q-tips and they are spotless for another 2-3 thousand rounds!

9mm semi automatics seem to get dirty really quickly, they get thoroughly cleaned every use.

Sometimes it's more fun to just go buy s new gun vs clean an old one. :D

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I once "found" a blued S&W K-frame that had been shot and put away for close to 30 (thirty) years. In a near panic, I stripped it and put it on the cleaning bench. Absolutely ZERO indications of corrosion anywhere, no staining or even fading in the blueing, not even the sights or the slight shine at the muzzle OD.

If one owns a handful of guns or hundreds, clean when & where you please. I do not panic anymore over anything shot with modern US-made ammunition.

LAH

Buckeye
I shoot my BH mostly & clean it about ever 500 rounds as the bullet lube tends to make removal of the base pin difficult after that.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
Once there shot they get cleaned, every Christmas time they come out of the safe, wiped down, re-oiled and put back to sleep.

Greenjoytj

Bearcat
hittman said:
I only clean my guns after I shoot them; every time.

Many times when I can't get out to shoot, I pull out a firearm I haven't used in a while and go through the cleaning process on this already clean gun.
This usually reminds me why I bought it and stimulates me into using it again.

I usually fire black powder in my NV's, BP cleans up so much easier and faster than nitro powder fouling.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Mine're all wiped down after each range session, 20 rounds or 120, makes no difference...and as my range here on the farm is just out the back door, that makes it easy...and I do brush/wipe out the bores as well, with the exception of my .22's. Those that are rifles get their bolt faces wiped down with a toothbrush, but I never brush nor wipe them out until accuracy tapers off. The pistols, however, need a brush out to keep the cylinder gunk under control, and I push a nylon brush through the bore as well.

Old habits for sure, but I've never had a gun malfunction due to crud build up either. Rod

Latest posts