Lipsey .45 Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bocash3

Bearcat
Howdy

A bit over a year ago, I purchased a nearly new Flat Top Stainless .45/.45 convertible Lipsey edition from a close friend. The serial number is: 521-3358x.

Could someone advise as to about how many of these were sold by Lipsey?

Does this edition bring a small premium over other .45 convertibles?

Thanking you in advance, Bo in western NC

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I believe it is still a current offering from Lipsey's and was a big hit from the start. They offer stainless or blued, 4 5/8" or 5.5" barrels.
They should hold a premium due to the retail price is a bit more than the standard Blackhawk and as I mentioned popular.
Your Lipsey's gun is a mid-size frame and may not shoot the heaviest loads due to the cylinder a bit shorter than the standard Blackhawk.

bocash3

Bearcat
THANKS, Blackhawk!!

My example is a 5 1/2 inch. I bought it from a close friend at a good deal about 1 3/4 years ago. Original box came with it but he shared that he somehow lost the original faux ivory grips. It came with beautiful custom smooth walnut grips, so everything good there.

I checked and it seems you are correct..............still being offered by Lipsey.

One thing I learned here was about the "mid-size frame/shorter cylinder than standard Blackhawk." Was not aware at all.
However, this revolver will be used for powder-puff and up to medium velocity reloads.

I started reloading in 1968. In my youth, I saw a lot of flames coming out of my .44 magnums and others as I pushed the limits with Hercules 2400 in everything from .38 special on up. Those days are over, thank goodness. I no longer like being kicked around by the piece I am shooting.

Thanks again................. Bo in NC

Rclark

Hunter
I no longer like being kicked around by the piece I am shooting.
Me too. I really enjoy my medium frame flattops and New Vaqueros in .45 Colt. Except for the Sheriff, mine all sport 5 1/2" barrels. Just a note as you can load up to tier 2 (23K psi) loads if necessary. I normally stick to high end of Tier 1 (14K SAAMI) which is plenty for most all situations. As said above Tier 3 (Ruger Only Loads 30K) is out though. I certainly don't feel I am missing anything :) . Enjoy your revolver. Give you a lifetime of service.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I still enjoy mine I bought new in Jan of 2012.

But it is important to remember the cylinder is not only a little shorter than the older larger frame Blackhawks but the metal between the chambers is less.

bocash3

Bearcat
SWE-E-E-E-T! Beautiful...............

I wish mine had the original faux ivories!!! The close friend that sold me
that piece took them off and lost them somewhere, replacing with a pretty custom walnut grip. They are nice, but I replaced those with a set of Ruger Laminated grip panels for the time being. Plus, he sold it to me about $175-200 less than appraisal w/ box, papers, and Lipsey document.

GOOD POINT!!..................I was not thinking about the thinner cylinder walls and had no idea there was that much difference. Glad you pointed that out. However, I will not make any difference with this geezer because 95% of my loads will be bunny farts.

In fact, my latest personally tested load for this piece is a 200 gr. swc and 4.6 gr. Titegroup. Before somebody jumps me and says "that is below minimum manual stats," THEY WORK!! Personal gun ownership and shooting goes back to 1956. Handloading and bullet casting goes back to 1968. My approach to loading is with care, experience, and testing. At my age, I don't like being kicked any more. This load is really sweet and chronys around 700 fps.

I also have a new model Blackhawk .45 convertible w/ 7 1/2 inch barrel. When time permits, I will pull that cylinder just to compare for kicks. Not that it matters, but wonder why Ruger made the Lipsey model frame smaller?

Anyhow, y'all have a great weekend!! Bo

BearBio

Buckeye
Dakota 1911: Nice Yei. Just got one for my wife for our 32nd anniversary!

Bo Cash: My cowboy load is 5.0 gr Titegroup with a 225 gr. in Colt SAA's.

For BEAR and MOOSE loads, I have an OM 45 LC.

bocash3

Bearcat
BearBio said:
Dakota 1911: Nice Yei. Just got one for my wife for our 32nd anniversary!

Bo Cash: My cowboy load is 5.0 gr Titegroup with a 225 gr. in Colt SAA's.

For BEAR and MOOSE loads, I have an OM 45 LC.

Lucky wife!! (& lucky husband whose wife would appreciate a gifted revolver!)

Your 5.0 TG and 225 gr sounds like a great all-around load.........enough juice to do damage
but still light enough not to knock one's hand out of joint.

Biologist: off subject, but I was trained as a biologist. Never got the fisheries biologist job I wanted because of politics and grade scores, but ended up teaching biology as a career. Still, I knew a lot of the NC fisheries' biologists and got my kicks by volunteering to do trout shocking census studies with them many times over the years.

In the early 70's, I purchased a OM Blackhawk .45/.45 in 4 5/8" -------- NEW. Sadly, I traded it off before the decade was over. I later became a FFL for 26 years and made a lot of trades and purchases. I currently have 4 other OM Rugers including a .357/9mm convertible. Of ALL the handguns that passed through my hands, I regret selling that OM .45 convertible the most. Stupid me!!

Latest posts