What finish...? Some pics up !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks Hondo appreciate the info.... as well as all the other great ideas. Coincidentally, I haven't been doing any 'finishing' since I posted that question in March; but just this week decided to strip and re-finish the J.C. Higgins .22 rifle that my father bought me back in the mid 1950's.... I did a botch job of it when I was a 'yewt'; and after all these years of feeling my hands get sticky on the old .22's stock, I decided to try and do it right this time.... you know, before the 'big round-up in the sky'. She shoots beautifully and I still take her out to the range a few times a year just to show the kids what a real .22 can do :)))
THANKS ALL,
John

Hondo44

Hawkeye
John,

You may be able to remove the stickiness with a wipe down using a little lacquer thinner or paint thinner on a lint free cloth like a piece of old Levi jeans. Or a good wipe down with toothpaste and damp cloth. Or even 0000 BRASS wool (not steel wool which will leave tiny metal fibers in the wood to later rust). You've got nothing to lose since you plan to refinish any way and the stickiness has to come off first and will not sand off. It just gums up the sand paper. Have fun!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've already got it stripped. Now I could use some thoughts on how to remove (or not) the discolorations that have permeated the wood. I've applied the stripper twice (used some light citristrip so as not to incur the wife's wrath). Then I wiped down with denatured alcohol (twice) and then washed with plain water and hung to dry. I don't want to sand if I don't have to... thought maybe bleach?? Or, just leave it alone and put some Tru-Oil, tung oil etc etc and be done with it. Here are some pics. Any thoughts greatly appreciate (Jim or anyone).... no biggie, after all it IS just a J.C. Higgins from Sears :)

FINALLY COMPLETED, used jacobean stain to cover the blotches somewhat and then Tru-oil (3 coats):