LCR .22LR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I share Bearpaw Jack's fondness for the LCR series revolvers. I recently bought an LCR .22LR from a member and I am hoping to receive it in another week or so. I bought it as a companion to my LCR .357 mag and will use primarily for plinking and the shooting range.

I also plan on trying out some Aguila Super Maximum 22 Long Rifle (LR) 30 GR Solid Point bullets that are advertised to reach 1,700fps. Their ad doesn't state the length of barrel needed to achieve this velocity, but I'm guessing it's longer than 8 inches. I plan on using a chronograph to check the velocity coming out of the 2 inch barrel of my LCR .22LR.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/aguila-1b222298-super-maximum-22-long-rifle/

hittman

Staff member
I'd kinda like to have a 22 with 3 inch barrel but never see them for sale around these parts.

silverback

Blackhawk
I had sold my lcr 22lr a while ago and missed it so much I bought another. Great shooting little gun. I bought the 3 inch but didn't really like the rear sights.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Pistolero said:
I share Bearpaw Jack's fondness for the LCR series revolvers. I recently bought an LCR .22LR from a member and I am hoping to receive it in another week or so. I bought it as a companion to my LCR .357 mag and will use primarily for plinking and the shooting range.

I also plan on trying out some Aguila Super Maximum 22 Long Rifle (LR) 30 GR Solid Point bullets that are advertised to reach 1,700fps. Their ad doesn't state the length of barrel needed to achieve this velocity, but I'm guessing it's longer than 8 inches. I plan on using a chronograph to check the velocity coming out of the 2 inch barrel of my LCR .22LR.

Test barrels these days are usually 20"-22" .The light bullet will make up for some loss of mv, but I wouldn't expect much over 1000fps if that, and a lot of unburned powder. The Hornady CD (45grn wmr) specifically loaded for a 1.875" barrel is advertised at 1000fps, and is what I use in my LCR .22mag.

My wife "stole" my LCR 22 with CT laser grips. So I bought the 3" LCRx in 22. When I take new shooters to the range they love shooting it.
I also have three in 38 spl; a regular LCR, LCRx short barrel, and LCRx 3". I also really like these guns.

silverback

Blackhawk
I really like my lcr 9mm. I tried 3 different grips and like the hogue boot grips the best.
I found the sccy cpx-2 an use that as my mew carry because of the round capacity.
The 9mm lcr has lighter trigger pull than the 22lr. unfortunately it is sitting in my safe. Maybe time to put it on the market.

GunnyGene said:
Pistolero said:

Test barrels these days are usually 20"-22" .The light bullet will make up for some loss of mv, but I wouldn't expect much over 1000fps if that, and a lot of unburned powder. The Hornady CD (45grn wmr) specifically loaded for a 1.875" barrel is advertised at 1000fps, and is what I use in my LCR .22mag.
Thanks Gunny this is good info.

GunnyGene said:
s4s4u said:
How does the trigger pull weight on the 22 LCR's compare to the 38's?
Don't know about the .22lr, but the .22mag is north of 10lbs.
Mas Ayoob the comments on the trigger pull on the LCR 22 .LR:

The test LCR, serial number 548-10623, was too much for the digital trigger pull gauge, which tops out at 12 pounds. Every stroke resulted in a reading that said, "Over." By contrast, my LCR .38 Special, a relatively early sample with serial number 540-01873, averaged 10.3 pounds. Pulls were measured from the center of the trigger, where the shooter's index finger was likely to be."
This is an article from 2013. I am hoping the new models have lighter trigger pulls. Mine will is shipping out today. As soon as I receive it I will test it with my Lyman digital trigger gauge and report back here.
Article:
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2013/04/ruger-lcr-22-lr/

silverback

Blackhawk
13 lbs? It sure doesn't feel like that. It is smooth trigger pull. Like all rugers it gets even better with age.

The sccy cpx-2 is suppose to be 9 lbs. Initially it's very difficult to shoot. It was made much better when I did a gallowy trigger and hammer upgrade. I also stretch the hammer spring a little. It brought it down to about a good 6 lbs trigger and shorten the trigger pull.

The lcr never felt like that.

The 9mm lcr feel lighter but not as noticeable as the numbers seem to indicate.

The lcr triggers are an entirely different feel to other triggers.

I picked up my new to me LCR.22LR at my FFL today and as promised I measured the trigger pull using my Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge . I gave it six pulls and each one showed over on the screen indicating trigger pull over 12 lbs.

Even though it has trigger over 12 lbs the pull was very smooth. My wife has very small hands and had no problems pulling the trigger. I bought the revolver used but in like new condition. The seller stated that it has a very smooth trigger and is 100% dependable. It certainly is very smooth and with a trigger pull over 12 lbs. it should be 100% reliable igniting rimfire cartridges. I hope a get a chance to shoot it. My wife loaded it with Stingers and placed it on her night stand. It's a keeper.

414282455.jpg