Ruger Wrangler Accuracy & Point of Aim Issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bug9424

Bearcat
I've been having challenges with my new Wrangler and just sent the following to Ruger customer service. Based on the reviews the point of aim should be regulated to roughly 15yds and 1.5" to 2.0" groups achievable. I'm not a professional shooter so I didn't expect it to be a tack driver but I was hoping it would be comparable to my Heritage and it's not close. Has anyone else experienced issues?

"I noticed accuracy issues out of the box but I wanted to shoot more rounds and different brands to see if the gun needed broke in or didn't like my ammo. In the week I've owned it I have shot approximately 200 rounds and the accuracy has not improved. I've shot CCI Select, Federal Premium, American Eagle, Winchester Super-X and Eley and the best I can get it to group is 4.00" to 4.35" with the Eley. All shooting was done standing with two hands gripping the gun. The other brands were anywhere from 5.59" to 7.70". The other issue is point of aim. At 15 yards it is consistently 2.5" to 3.0" low and 2.5" to 3.0" left. I wanted to make sure it wasn't me so I shot my Heritage Rough Rider in the same manner and my groups were consistently 2.0" to 2.5". Based on the reviews and my experience with other Ruger revolvers I own I expected more so maybe I purchased a dud? Any assistance would be much appreciated."

hittman

Staff member
Based on who's reviews?

And, I'd shoot another 100 or so from a rest and maybe let a friend shoot it too.

I can't say anything about the Wrangler BUT I can relate whet I found with a new 22/45 I bought a few years back.
I was quite disappointed with the accuracy and tried 1/2 dozen types of ammo(probably 500+ rounds). I went as far as to mount a scope so that my vision wasn't affecting the groups. At a point when I was ready to trade the darned thing for a different pistol, accuracy began to improve and soon the pistol was showing amazing accuracy with 2 or 3 types of ammo that had been poor in earlier testing.
As for the POI issues, I'd suggest letting someone else who you know is a decent handgun shot run a box of ammo through it and see where that POI ends up. I know for fact that I tend to "push" the gun when I get frustrated (as one might get in your case) which moves POI significantly.

Bug9424

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Here are links to a couple of the reviews I referenced. I think I've read every review google can find and everyone seems to be having zero issues. I'll keep shooting and see what Ruger has to say.

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-Wrangler.htm
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ruger-wrangler-review/

Latest posts