45 colt 200 grain swc loads.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fla Trooper 265

Bearcat
I just loaded some 200 grain swc over 9 grains of unique. They were very accurate, one ragged hole at 15 yards. Is 9 grains of unique considered hot or mild. I am shooting them out of my Old Model Ruger. I did not have any signs of high pressure. The empty's fell right out of the cylinder. I want a mild load with no strain on my old model.

9.8 grains is max, so you are about 92% of max according to Alliant which should very safe.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=3&cartridge=36

Sounds like you found a load your gun likes.

NikA

Buckeye
I wouldn't worry about 9grs of Unique under a 200gr bullet in a Ruger .45 Colt. As I remember, even the Tier II loads for the newer medium frame guns have a max of over 9grs with a heavier 255gr bullet.

ETA: HL 246 article lists a 10gr Unique load with a 280gr bullet in the Tier II 20ksi category.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I used to shoot a 262 grain Keith style SWC over 10.0 grains of Unique (taken from an older Lyman manual) in an Old Model .45 Blackhawk. I believe that load is no longer in the newer books. Nowadays, I use 8.5 grains of Unique with a 250 grain SWC in a New Model Blackhawk.