Buying First Single Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one bullet

Single-Sixer
I'm getting ready to buy my first single action revolver. I'm not familiar with the different grips and models. I'm thinking a 45 colt with a 4 5/8 barrel. Prefer stainless but would buy blue for the right price. I don't mind the new model with the transfer bar but would like to buy one as old as possible. I just have it in my head that the older Rugers are better quality. Not wanting to argue that though. What year did the new models start, with the transfer bar? Any suggestions on which one to shop for. Should I consider a Vaquero as well. I have large hands.

The change from old model to new was in the early 70's.

Get a Bisley Blackhawk in 45C with an extra cylinder in 45 ACP with a 5.5 inch barrel, it will do everything needed outside of grizzly country.

contender

Ruger Guru
I will offer you this.
Get in touch with me,, and we can take out various models of your choice to try at my range. That way, you can decide which one is YOUR preference.
I have OM's, NM's, Vaquero's, & Bisley's. All you have to do is call & we'll set it up.

one bullet

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I will offer you this.
Get in touch with me,, and we can take out various models of your choice to try at my range. That way, you can decide which one is YOUR preference.
I have OM's, NM's, Vaquero's, & Bisley's. All you have to do is call & we'll set it up.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that!

Prescut

Single-Sixer
One Bullet,

You will never get a better offer that the one you got from Contender. He is experienced, knowledgeable, and a nice guy. His collection will be impressive.

Prescut

one bullet said:
contender said:
I will offer you this.

Jump on that offer like a hen on a June bug! I have been to Contender's range-good times, excellent guns. I left with a BIG SMILE!
gramps

daveg.inkc

Hunter
gramps said:
one bullet said:
contender said:
I will offer you this.

Jump on that offer like a hen on a June bug! I have been to Contender's range-good times, excellent guns. I left with a BIG SMILE!
gramps
You meet the nicest people in North Carolina!

BearBio

Buckeye
Gator89 said:
The change from old model to new was in the early 70's.

Get a Bisley Blackhawk in 45C with an extra cylinder in 45 ACP with a 5.5 inch barrel, it will do everything needed outside of grizzly country.

I have an OM Blackhawk I load with 325 gr hardcast at 1100 or 1200 fps; with my Randal Yukon Skinner it's all I need in grizzly country. Like it better than my .454

An EPS Tom Threepersons rig (Actually a John Wayne money belt)

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
I have relatively large hands, and I really like the Super Blackhawk grip, when I'm just holding the gun. When I'm shooting, I prefer the Blackhawk grips. Shortly after buying a Blackhawk in 45 Colt/45ACP, I thought I needed a hogue grip. Eventually I went back to the standard wood grips, much better. Also, how old are your eyes? Mine started going 10 years ago and I find that I'm now better with longer barreled revolvers. 4 5/8 is a little on the short side most days.

sixshot

Buckeye
I sure take Contender up on his generous offer! I know he's got a lot of Rugers because several of them were mine! Then, settle on the flat top bisley 44 special 5.5" barrel, these guns were made right & you'll love the feel & balance of the gun. Also, you can't go wrong with the 45/45 combo.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee y'all,,, you are gonna make me blush.
And sixshot,, I only have 2 maybe 3 guns you chose to send to a warmer climate! :D (I like them all too!) But I do have a few more that can help him choose which one he'd prefer.

Seriously,,, I do have a good selection for him try out & make an educated choice as to what would work for his desires.

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
That's a very generous offer from Contender. If I was in your place, an offer like this would be VERY hard to pass up. Good luck in your search.

Joe