Removal of brake from 450 Bushmaster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I've tried removing brake and putting the thread protector that came with the rifle. Brake will not move. Any hints? I do not like the blast I get from brakes.
regards C

When I have to remove flash hiders from AR's, I use a piece of split 3/4" heater hose around the barrel and clamp it in a good sized bench vise. Use a good quality properly sized open end wrench and hit the end of the wrench with a dead blow hammer. So far has not failed or damaged the barrel's finish.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Late response but will add anyways. Mine was a SOB to take off. Could not get the lock nut to turn. I clamped the barreled action in a vice. I had a rather large steel drift punch about ten inches long. The handle was near a perfect fit for the large holes in the brake. I wrapped it in a couple layers of electrical tape so as not to mar the finish of the brake. I applied a bit of heat to joint of the brake and barrel. With the drift through the holes of the brake it turned right off without any effort.

After all that and the first range session I put the brake back on. It makes a big difference as much as I don't like the looks.

Be VERY careful when applying torque to the barrel while holding the upper in a vise or bench block. The alignment pin on the barrel extension is the ONLY radial link between the barrel and upper receiver. Applying excessive radial torque to the muzzle device can and will damage the upper receiver and/or alignment pin leaving those parts a total loss.
In extreme cases, if there's not sufficient space to clamp a barrel vise between gas block/FSB and muzzle, the gas tube can be removed by driving out the tiny pin holding it in the gas block and sliding further into the upper which will allow the use of a normal barrel vise on the barrel between gas block and barrel nut.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Mine did come off abet fairly easy once I learned the nut had to be loosened via this thread. I've left it off I don't think it does much as far as recoil.