How do i repair a RSS5 box?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
I just purchased a 1964 RSS5 Single Six with a box. The box is in poor condition. What is the best way/product to use to repair the box. I know I cant make it new but I would like to keep it together. I do not want to use the wrong kind of tape that will do further harm to it.
Thank you

kevin masten

Blackhawk
A photo or two may help you in your quest. There are several ways to approach a repair. Sometimes damage is so great, little can be done for or to the box other than preserve what is left.

street

Hunter
The best repairs are made with glue, without the use of tape. Tape just draws attention to the repair. I have seen some boxes repaired this way that is hard to see from a distance of a few feet that it has been repaired. If it has been taped then it shows up like a sore thumb.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, repairs can be tricky.
If the corners are separating, and the outer paper is loose,, then you can get fiber reinforced shipping tape, cut a small piece & glue it in place on the outer box, under the wrap. I've used a 1/2" wide, by about 1-1/2" long piece, folded lengthwise. That puts about 1/4" of reinforcing tape on each side for the corners. Then glue the wrap over that. PATIENCE,,, toothpicks, feathers, (to apply glue in narrow places,) clamps, pieces of cardboard to hold things are all tools used to do repairs.

TxGun

Bearcat
Here's how I would do it:

Find some suitable cardboard of similar thickness as the original box. This sort of material is not all the same...find some that does not tear easily. Cut sections that fold and fit the inside corners precisely. If repairing more than one corner, be sure all your repair sections are matched and are exactly the same. (If repairing the lid this way, make sure the lid will close without binding on the repairs...it should). Glue the repairs in and use regular office paper clamps to hold until dry. If done correctly, it all looks almost original.

Just my suggestion(s).