Discontinued SR series.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
Gunny, "Only as Distributor Exclusive from Sports South https://www.theshootingwarehouse.com/ . Which you can't order from unless you're a dealer."

Unless you know an FFL that you can work with and will accept guns for you. I try to always have one or two alternatives to ship guns to. The last one, we've gotten to be very good friends. Win/Win.

There is that. I've done it a couple times. :)

jasper661

Bearcat
I just checked the Ruger web page and the SR guns are back, a good idea in my opinion. The Glock 19X and the Model 45, are "pale" examples of the Ruger SR series.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Well, I'm happy to see they are back and hope they become a regular item not exclusive to a particular distributor again. I have a suspicion that Ruger realizes that the market just isn't going to embrace the RAP, even as a second tier (meaning, not Glock/M&P/XD) offering. On the other hand, the SR's always sold really well around here and Ruger has gotten most of the bugs out of them.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Taterman said:
Glad to hear they are back. My wife has an SR9 and loves it. Fun gun to shoot.

A lot of people really hated that popup chambered round thingie. Totally useless complication. Which is a major reason why I and other people bought the 9e instead of the standard SR9. Don't know if they ditched that on the distributor guns, but they should if they haven't.

vulcan73

Bearcat
"I suppose that's the marketing ploy of Ruger and others. If they made only one model, and once a person owned that model, there'd be little reason to replace it and/or buy another. So, they discontinue a model, create another model, and hope the buying public will flock to the new release, as somehow it will be better."

Exactly what Harley Davidson does, and Apple, and Microsoft, and... 8)

Taterman

Buckeye
GunnyGene said:
A lot of people really hated that popup chambered round thingie. Totally useless complication. Which is a major reason why I and other people bought the 9e instead of the standard SR9. Don't know if they ditched that on the distributor guns, but they should if they haven't.

I agree, it's useless.

mac66

Single-Sixer
All Ruger guns are sold through distributors. Ruger will cut production on certain guns if distributor orders aren't enough to keep the lines running. They've done so in the past with the Ruger Redhawk and a few other models. When demand increases they will make another run or two or more. I suspect that's what happened with the SR series, just a momentary suspension of production.

WestTex

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
WestTex said:
Just my opinion, but I think the SR series was better than American and Security models.

IF they had taken the obnoxiously oversized LCI off the SR. I can live with the thumb safety, and even mag disconnect (although would have preferred it gone). But, to me, the SR felt better and was way more aesthetically pleasing than latest 2 offerings from Ruger.

They did take the LCI off. Along with some minor cosmetic changes. It's called SR9e. Internals are identical.

For those who have a 9e, or other Ruger semi's, a few performance parts are available from Galloway Precision. I put their 20lb spring and guide rod in my 9e a few years ago.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/

Not sure how the 9E replaces the SR40 or SR45.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
WestTex said:
GunnyGene said:
WestTex said:
Just my opinion, but I think the SR series was better than American and Security models.

IF they had taken the obnoxiously oversized LCI off the SR. I can live with the thumb safety, and even mag disconnect (although would have preferred it gone). But, to me, the SR felt better and was way more aesthetically pleasing than latest 2 offerings from Ruger.

They did take the LCI off. Along with some minor cosmetic changes. It's called SR9e. Internals are identical.

For those who have a 9e, or other Ruger semi's, a few performance parts are available from Galloway Precision. I put their 20lb spring and guide rod in my 9e a few years ago.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/

Not sure how the 9E replaces the SR40 or SR45.

Who said anything about replacing anything? I've never bought a gun to replace any other gun. :roll: :wink:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My local shop now has the SR9 and SR45 stainless in stock for $300.00. That's a screaming bargain right there, I really hope Ruger keeps the line going. The shop owner says they always sold well even at full price, and agreed that the RAP is a step backwards. He said he only gets the RAP if someone orders one because otherwise they just sit in the case for weeks.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
I love my SR9c....I have been doing the..should I trade this in on a

1. Glock 26
2. FN Compact
3. Glock 43x
4. Glock 48
5. Sig 320 compact
6.M&P Compact
7. M&P shield

guess what..I STILL have the SR9c....because after A/B side by side comparisons at the local shooting range...I havent found the others listed to be better or worth trading the SR9c in for,,,the closest ive had to almost trading it on is...well 2 the Shield that fits my hnd like a glove..well kinda like the SR9c does and the Sig 365..thats it

and are the Shield or 365 so much better...well that I STILL have the SR9c should let u know my thoughts