MK 4 Target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loiblb

Single-Sixer
My Standard MK 2 and my Mk 3 Hunter are shooting much better groups then my new MK 4 Target blue steel version.
Will it work it's self out by shooting a lot of ammo after a while. Is there a few things to fix so it shoots better?
My other Mk's did not need much to become such good shooters, I thought I was a good shot.

Achigan

Single-Sixer
The suggestions for other questions like this have been on the order of: run a few hundred rounds of CCI MM through it before you do anything else. Then try out a few different loads to see what you specific gun likes best. (I'm just parroting what I've read here several times.)

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
It could be a heavy trigger pull weight. Many of the Mark IV pistols have been reported to have upwards of a 5-pound pull. Most likely, that will not go away, or wear in easily. Sear work, or a replacement sear, does do wonders for these Mark IV pistols.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
After several outings with the "Target" Mark 4, it's been retired to the gun safe. At least for now. Both the Mark 2 standard and Mark 3 Hunter and my Browning Buckmark shoot rings around it. None of those required lots and lots of ammo to start shooting well.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Sounds like a call to Ruger explaining things might be in order. If using the same ammo as the other two then more than likely something is a miss with the pistol.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
loiblb said:
After several outings with the "Target" Mark 4, it's been retired to the gun safe. At least for now. Both the Mark 2 standard and Mark 3 Hunter and my Browning Buckmark shoot rings around it. None of those required lots and lots of ammo to start shooting well.

Sorry to hear that.

recumbent

Buckeye
Clean it, lube it and check the sights to be sure they aren't loose.
Then shoot a bulk pack of ammo. I like the Federal 550 round bulk pack from Walmart.
Then report back.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
recumbent said:
Clean it, lube it and check the sights to be sure they aren't loose.
Then shoot a bulk pack of ammo. I like the Federal 550 round bulk pack from Walmart.
Then report back.

Good point! The front sights on the Mark IV and many of the single action revolvers can have the malady of front sight set screws vibrating loose quite often.
I've had much better luck cleaning the sight threads and barrel threads with an oil displacing solvent and then #242 serviceable Loctite. Some recommend fingernail polish, but the Loctite is less embarrassing to buy. I have found that the "torx" style of screws work much better:

gk5cEgcl.jpg