American rimfire on the way

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Been thinking about gifting myself a new .22 rifle lately and narrowed it down to a Ruger American or 10/22. Was about to go buy a 10/22 off the rack when I found an American .22 LR with some finish wear but complete and (allegedly) with a good bore on Gunbroker starting at $135.00. I guess everybody else was asleep because I actually won the darn thing. The finish wear doesn't hurt my feelings at all since this rifle is going to be my farm companion. Don't know if I'm going to scope it or use sights just yet.

So, what do I have here? Any known trouble spots with them? If it shoots as well as my Henry H001T I'll be quite happy.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks a lot. My Henry really likes the 1435 fps 40 grain loads from Winchester and Browning. I have read that a lot of rifles don't shoot the faster rounds well. I hope the American likes them, they hit with authority.

My RAR 22lr shoots Federal AutoMatch pretty good. Not as good as Aguila 40 grain sub-sonic but pretty good. Blazer HV is only mediocre and I haven't tried other HV ammo.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The fun store called and said the rifle was in, so I hustled on over and picked it up. My receiver sight hasn't come in yet, so I got the issue open sights sighted in. It likes the rear leaf all the way up, fortunately the windage was perfect. This is a typical group at 40 yards rested on shooting sticks. Nothing special, but as good as I can do with any other gun i have ever tried. Ammo is Winchester Power Point hyper velocity, which hits hard and shoots well for me out of non-autoloaders.

attachment.php

Very happy so far, looking forward to trying the receiver sight and more types of ammo in it!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks. The stock has some scuffs and scratches and I dont care for generic black plastic. Sanded it down and applied the first coat of paint yesterday. Color is Krylon Fusion matte Glacier Gray.

57springer

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Thanks. The stock has some scuffs and scratches and I dont care for generic black plastic. Sanded it down and applied the first coat of paint yesterday. Color is Krylon Fusion matte Glacier Gray.
Post us a pic when its completed .

The blase' stock color of my RAR stock is broken up by different colored splotches of mud, a few splatters of blood, and some other "unidentified substances" which have accumulated over the time I've been using it. Probably not nearly as attractive as your "gold spider web" application.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
You got it! Probably be next week though as I take my time on painting stocks. I find the key to a good rattle can job is to spray super light/almost translucent coats and allow to dry for 48 hours between coats.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Yes, exactly. I've now put two coats on and discovered some of the scratches were deeper than I thought. Not a big deal or anything, probably be finished by the weekend.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Finally got the rifle put back together and was able to put some rounds through it last night. Shoots dead on at 50 yards with 40 grain slugs. Just shooting Thunderduds right now so no groups worth boasting about. Hopefully I can try it with the Williams FP receiver sight this weekend.

attachment.php