First Year Super Blackhawk Questions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I ran into something today that I never thought I'd run into. It's a first year Super Blackhawk, in the Wood Box (I THINK). In other words, I don't know if this particular gun originally came with the wood box, but I think it did.

For being in a box that long the gun is in pretty good shape. There are a few small rust spots on it. My understanding is the box by itself is worth a fair amount. I don't know how to do pictures or I'd add them. If someone wants me to send them some pictures I can do that. Can someone help me with value and such. Does the gun go with that box? How many came with the wood box? Were there a certain number of serial numbers that got boxes or how was that determined.
Thanks for any help or insight. I'm thinking I might sell it, as I've got no real use for it. Serial number is 12xx.

The box does say genuine Mahogany on the bottom. It was smaller than I expected.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like you found a Mahogany boxed Super.
In 1959, the Super was introduced. Serial numbers ran from #1 to #1520 for 1959. There are several minor differences in the early beginnings of the Super's,, making many of them quite collectable. There is the "Long Frame" which has a g/f that is about 3/16" longer than the normal Supers. Original grips for that one will have a "C" stamped into the wood on the inside.
Other variations;
Long frame, an eagle logo on the barrel, "dull" finish, in the mahogany box. Rare. Serial number range; 4 to 1463 with about 300 of this variety.
Short frame, eagle logo on the bbl, dull polish, in the mahogany box. Serial number range; #1 to 1799, and 3740 to 4068. About 2000 made like this.
Short frame, NO eagle on bbl, dull polish, in the mahogany box. Serial number range; #225 to #1720 & to #3526. Scarce.
Long frame, NO eagle on bbl, dull polish, in mahogany box. Only about 9 known,, EXTREMELY RARE.

The "high polish" came after the serial number you posted,, started shipping in later 1960.

So, as you can see,, variations, & detail matter.
And yes,, the box is valuable. There were a few minor differences in a few boxes,, such as nickle or chrome hardware.
Also look on the bottom of the box for the stamping; "Genuine Mahogany."

And, look at the wooden insert inside the box. Check the ends where the barrel & butt meets the box. Sometimes that "thin" area has cracks in the wood.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Jack,

Congrats, let us know if it's the long grip frame! And if the cutout in the box matches the grip frame length.

The Mahogany boxes ended when the box factory burnt down. The next box was a temporary plain white cardboard. Very rare and sell in the $600 range when nice, a lot more than the Mah box.

My buddy ordered a new Super about that time and it came in the white box. He was so angry he threw it in the fire. :(

hittman

Staff member
9hR3mfbh.jpg

PM to you.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Very nice! Congratulations on scoring that. I remember a mahogany boxed Super at my favorite dealer back in the mid-70s. It was offered to me for $200 out the door. I didn't buy it. Duh. Didn't know anything about collectible Rugers at the time, barely knew the difference between an old model and a new model. Well, I did know that, but not much more.

Latest posts