Question about NM Blackhawk .45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WestTex

Single-Sixer
I checked the Ruger website and did not see the answer, but is it possible to buy a .45 acp cylinder and just drop it in as if the revolver was originally a convertible?

Any design differences that would prevent this?

Where find cylinders?

Many thanks.

hittman

Staff member
Yes its possible. I've done it with a Single Six and the new-to-me cylinder dropped right it and worked fine.

Measure your current factory cylinder length and look for one that size or a tad longer.

Put a WTB ad in the Classified Section here.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Sometimes, Ruger will fit your revolver with an additional cylinder. Other times, they won't.

I have bought an Old Model 9mm cylinder that dropped into my 3 digit flattop .357 Blackhawk. I also bought an additional .22 Long Rifle Bearcat cylinder that dropped into my revolver without requiring any fitting. That one got reamed to .22 magnum.

jasper661

Bearcat
The best bet is to call Ruger customer service, fitting a .45ACP cylinder to a .45Colt should not be a problem.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Ruger has had an on-again, off-again policy on this. Last I heard, they would not fit an auxiliary cylinder to revolver that was not originally sold as a convertible.

At one time, Ruger did not offer convertibles, but would fit an auxiliary cylinder. I have two .45 Colts that were bought as such, and they did retrofit ACP cylinders for both.

Bob Wright

s4s4u

Hunter
Been there, done it. You need to get a cylinder the same length, or slightly longer than your 45 Colt cylinder as there are variations. I had to take a few thou's off the front bearing surface of my ACP cylinder to fit. Worked as if it came that way.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I have 2 .45 Blackhawks, one a convertible and one LC only, both New Model. The ACP cylinder does not work in the other gun. It drops in and seems to fit fine, will fire 1 shot then lock up tight. Have to remove the cylinder at that point. I'm not saying you can't find a drop-in cylinder that will work, just that even if it does drop right in, it still may not work properly.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have also seen just the cylinders at various gun shows from time to time. Measure carefully and then test carefully. When I called Ruger back around 2003 or so they said they would not fit an extra cylinder unless the revolver was initially made as a convertible but I think it would be worth a call now to check if you are interested in having them do it.