Ruger #1 Quarter Rib Screws

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
Does anyone know where I might be able to get 2 screws that hold down the rear of the Quarter Rib on my #1 45/70. I now have a Peep Sight on it but want to try a low power scope. The screws are a flat top socket head screw that fits the countersunk holes in the Quarter Rib. I believe the thread is 8/40. I called Ruger and they sent 2 screws but they are filister type not the tapered head to fit the countersink . Any help here Thanks

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
Brownells is a source for these screws. A bit pricey, but usually have them and they fit; just gotta choose the tall or short version which is evident from the rib view. Ruger quarter ribs have two studs and 4 screws(2 tall, 2 short). shorts are in the rear, talls in the front.

Hard to believe that Ruger sent the wrong screws for a quarter rib, but different times I guess.

I believe that the rib screw is 8-36.

One would suspect that these screws are available from the big hardware houses, but never spent the time searching. The Brownell's are factory blued fwiw..........

NikA

Buckeye
I'd check at the local Ace or TruValue hardware store. They generally have an aisle with all sorts of machine screws, small to large. I checked my hardware shelf but I don't have any flat socket head cap screws smaller than 1/4"-20.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
One would suspect that an outfit like McMaster-Carr has this type of screw. Have to buy in some quantity, and go thru all the small differences in some of the head profiles, but bet it is there.

No blued I would guess as well, but to some is a moot point.

The factory ones are high I think, but are blued and fit. If one uses some thought in removing the quarter rib screws, they certainly can be reused.

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
I had my gunsmith install a peep sight years ago now I want to go to a low power scope (Bad Eyes) The Smith did not keep the screws

Latest posts