How Do You Cut Off a Barrel.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jules

Single-Sixer
jpickar said:
The whole process took about 4 hours. This SRH did not have a over tightened barrel. Matter of fact when I put it back on I tightened it a bit more because I felt it was a little loose.

I took the barrel off. Removed the front sight. Cut the barrel to length. Chucked it up in the lathe. Made a crowning tool and crowned the barrel. Put the barrel back in the frame and set the sight on it and scribed two lines for reference. Took the barrel off. Prepared the sight and barrel and silver soldered the front sight on. Cleaned and refinished the barrel and sight. Put the barrel back in the frame. Assembled the gun and test fired it. All is good.
I wish I could post pics on this forum. I did have to make special lead inserts for my barrel clamp to fit around the front sight. The barrel length now is 4 3/4" so all that is past the frame is enough to put the front sight on.
John

This is great John, If you email the pictures to me I will post them for you. [email protected] I would love to see it and I know everyone else would. I was told it couldn't be done.

jpickar

Blackhawk
Jules
I am having trouble with my email. I will try and send you some pics in a couple of days.

jules

Single-Sixer
No worries John. Here they are.

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inch-1.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inch-2.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inch-4.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inch-5.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inch-6.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inch-7.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inches-1.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inches-2.jpg

Ruger-redhawk-barrel-from-9-1-2-to-4-3-4-inch-8.jpg

jpickar

Blackhawk
I thought that too until I shot it. It shoots right on. I think the weight of the gun helps keep the gun from serious muzzle jump like a S&W 329! ha ha

Thanks jules for posting the pics.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nice result. For future reference by others, it really seems to be a "Ruger-Smithing" section topic. Searching all over the forum for a gunsmithing topic gets tedious.

Cutting, welding, polishing, re-crowning, replacement of sight(s) and calculating sight height... sounds like a simple task, but the experts may not find this in other sections?

Good luck with the project. (Have you contacted some of the well-known 'smiths to find a completed shorter barrel? Could make the job much easier).