SP101 22LR spring info. Anyone changed them?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Got the GP 22 for my kids and tuned it the best I could with a wolff spring kit but to get reliable hammer strike had to go a bit heavier than I like.

Also the GP was a bit heavy for my kids after a few minutes of shooting.

So got a used SP. The hammer spring feels heavy and so I figured I'd ask if someone has been down this road already.

Thanks for the input,
RoyLT

roylt

Hunter
I still need to do some google research but do you know what the pounds are factory and what you may have tried?

roylt said:
I still need to do some google research but do you know what the pounds are factory and what you may have tried?

I do not know or remember the weight of any of the springs. Bullseye or Wolff's site should list the ratings. And another thing...Keep track of the springs. They all look the same and it's easy to lose track of which one is which once they leave their little baggy.

I looked it up.
Factory standard is 14 lb. Anything less would not ignite the primers regularly. And for the record, my experimentation was with the original SP 101. It's 16 lb for the newer model SP 101.

And further, I'm only discussing hammer springs, as I've found little to no benefit in changing trigger return springs.

Lastly, if you have the original model of the SP 101, I could dig up the springs and let you try them for yourself.

roylt

Hunter
That would be very kind of you to send the springs.

Appreciate the info.

Interesting...I found two packages of springs. One package was empty, and the other was a complete set, unopened. :?

They are in the mail.

Again, note that these springs are for the original issue SP-101, so make sure they are correct for your revolver.

roylt

Hunter
Finally got dry enough that the park with the range is open. Tinkered over the weekend and installed the lightest springs. 8 Trigger and 10 hammer.

Range day today over lunch with a couple guys from work. Single action fired every round perfect. Double action was about 70% fail rate.

Only tried Remington bulk ammo.

I think for now I will leave it like this until I have a chance for the kids to try it.

Thanks so much to all the helped,
Roy

phonejack

Single-Sixer
Not the same but, related. I put the Wolfe kit in my SP 101-357. No ignition issues, but, hammer fall was too slow for my liking. I replaced with the factory springs .

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Here's another "not the same." I owned a S&W M34 Kit Gun in .22 LR. It was fine, 100%, in single action, but maybe 60-70% in double action. No matter what I tried-heavier springs, checking head space, etc.-I never got it more reliable than 80%. I finally sold it. :(

roylt

Hunter
My kids are young so their small hand size and strength of the thumb while gripping the pistol was too much at stock spring rate. I fear that while trying to pull the hammer back they slip and hit the trigger.

I move very slowly with my kids and gun training. I rather be very safe than sorry.

The trigger is very smooth in single action and I really don't shoot much double action. Yeilds more lead on steel if you know what I mean. haha And that keeps the kids interested. The ding of the plate.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
I had been through this with an SP-101 in .22 and wound up using the 11 lb. main spring. A thorough cleaning of the insides may help as well.

Thel

Blackhawk
The top step on the hammer that contacts the recoil shield can be reduced by up to 0.020" to allow more transmission of energy to the firing pin which will allow a somewhat lighter spring to be used. Elsewhere I have read that on the newer models with the firing pin bushing that comes out at the back of the recoil shield that the firing pin can be reshaped a bit to get better ignition. If going to a lighter trigger return spring the plunger spring channel on the trigger guard should be deburred with a 13/64" drill bit and polished inside.