How Often Do You Clean Them

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have to admit that I am pretty lazy when it comes to cleaning firearms, so for this reason 95% of my handguns are stainless. For the most part I only clean them when they quit working right. :shock: We shoot at least monthly and more often when we can. The place where we shoot is on private property and it will be shut down for the summer real soon, due to summer fire conditions. With this in mind, I have been out burning powder and slinging lead 4 of the past 6 weekends. After years of neglect, it was really getting to be about time to do some cleaning. I had my son home for the holiday and weekend, so took advantage of the extra help. We spent just about 10 hours each and all we got done was the handguns. I recently discovered the Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth, so figured I would share a bit on how well these work.
Here are a couple of the before pictures:

Our method of cleaning on these was to first dismantle the revolver/pistol, wipe off the extreme buildup from the face of the cylinder with the lead removal cloth, swab everything with Hoppes #9, brush everything with a nylon or bronze brush, hose everything down with Gun scrubber, swab everything with oil, and wipe down the excess oil before putting them back together.

Here are a couple of after pics:

I can't even begin to tell you how great the lead removal cloth works. Not knowing how much we would use, I cut the cloth into 3 pieces. We ended up completely using up 2 of them and most of the 3rd piece. With that in mind, I should tell you that an average guy could probably stretch one of these to last for 5-10 years. Yes, you guessed it, we cleaned A LARGE PILE OF FILTHY GUNS. and most of them had not been touched in 10-12 years. In fact I believe some of these may not have been cleaned since they were brand spanking new The question now is this---going forward do I try to clean them every outing or 2, or do I just wait another 10 years and just spend a weekend doing them all at once??? :lol:

Bonus points if you know what revolver that clean cylinder came out of :?:

TRanger

Blackhawk
In most cases, I clean after every range session. An exception is .22s, which can actually suffer more harm than good from excessive cleaning.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I clean mine every time I shoot them.
it amazes me when I read on some sites where people say " I don't clean them until they malfunction or it effects accuracy ".

azleite

Single-Sixer
Uncle Sam taught me I wasn't allowed to have a dirty "weapon". It's a labor of love I reckon, I clean and inspect after every range session to include pulling a patch (Otis) through the bores of my rimfires-Dave

Rclark

Hunter
Depends. If they are going back into the safe, then they are cleaned. But if they are going to sit in the range bag for the next time out, I'll clean when necessary which is usually every couple sessions. Just depends on how dirty, sticky they get. No biggie. Doesn't matter whether blued or stainless. Of course the black powder revolvers are cleaned after every session. Good time to check screws to make sure they are all still secure. I fully disassemle the most used guns all the way down every couple years for a good cleaning.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
AJGUNNER.... thank you for a sharp photo piece. While I cannot subscribe to your traditional cleaning interval----which you now seem to have updated----and while I consider each gun, and load, and environ to have its own personality, the specifics of your process provides valuable guidance.
David Bradshaw

contender

Ruger Guru
That clean SS cylinder looks like it came from a 357 Redhawk, the original one.

I too appreciate this thread,, and I knew before opening it,, there would be some interesting stuff. While I know folks who never clean until a malfunction, & others who clean after every range session,,, most fall into a different category.

A range session,, to some folks may be only 15-20 rounds while another gun or person may be a couple of hundred rounds fired. A 454 Casull vs a .32 mag,, will likely get the 454 shot less & the 32 more.
Most guns can enjoy shooting several hundred rounds before the need to clean may rear it's head. In fact,, a quality firearm can usually go several thousand rounds.

But,, it also depends on the gun, & what is shot. As noted above,, a BP gun NEEDS to be cleaned after each firing,, or problems can occur. While modern smokeless & less corrosive stuff can be left on for months & no damage to the gun occur.

I shoot competition with a wheelgun,, and a normal match can see up to around 200 rounds or less. I don't clean after each match,, but I also don't let the crud build up to where it MAY cause a problem. I tend to understand that a gun is a mechanical object,, subject to it's own personality. So,, I want to know a gun is dependable,, and as such,, a dirty gun often proves itself. I've seen a freshly cleaned gun fail, and I've seen guns go over 50,000 rounds w/o a cleaning. (Not mine.)

To each his own as long as they are happy.

contender said:
That clean SS cylinder looks like it came from a 357 Redhawk, the original one. Ding---Ding---Ding---We have a winner. The 5.5" and 7.5" "Original" Redhawks seem to get pretty steady abuse----ah---I mean use. I think it is because they seem to adsorb recoil so well.

I too appreciate this thread,, and I knew before opening it,, there would be some interesting stuff. While I know folks who never clean until a malfunction, & others who clean after every range session,,, most fall into a different category.

A range session,, to some folks may be only 15-20 rounds while another gun or person may be a couple of hundred rounds fired. Usually a couple of hundred per caliber depending on whether I am solo or if my son is also shooting. A 454 Casull vs a .32 mag,, will likely get the 454 shot less & the 32 more.
Most guns can enjoy shooting several hundred rounds before the need to clean may rear it's head. In fact,, a quality firearm can usually go several thousand rounds. I don't keep count but I know that the 7.5" Redhawks in both 357 and 44 mag have seen 1000's of rounds since they were last cleaned. Just like that pink bunny ---- they just keep going and going and going with no need to waste time and chemicals just to make them shiny again. :wink:

To each his own as long as they are happy. I have to admit that neither of us was feeling real happy after standing for 5+ hours of cleaning. We eventually took a break for dinner then sleep. After breakfast we trudged on until we were finished and ready for lunch. I think it was during lunch when my sons asked about what the plan of attack would be on the long guns. :roll: It was a pretty good feeling to have it done and over with and to finally get off our feet. :lol:

Remember I did say that there was a big pile of them to clean.

Top row from the left:
Standard model, Mark 2's X 4, Single Sixes X 5, Bearcats X 2
Center row from the left:
S&W J-frames X 7, SP101's X 2, Security Sixes X 3, Redhawk 357's X 2
Bottom row from the left:
Colt 22, Glock 26's X 2, Glock 19, Redhawk 44's X 5

grobin

Blackhawk
Depends on the use:
Combat/DC/SD/TC/HD, after use every time! Even training!
Target/competition, after each use of if there are signs of problems! I'm not OC like the bench rest guys!
Others, as needed.

hittman

Staff member
I only clean my guns after I shoot them; every time.

Remind me to never buy a used car from folks who don't take care of their equipment! :lol:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I clean them every time I shoot them.... the few that aren't shot during a year get checked, cleaned and lightly lubed at the end of each year.
J.

hittman said:
I only clean my guns after I shoot them; every time.

Remind me to never buy a used car from folks who don't take care of their equipment! :lol:

A big part of the reason it took us so long was because the wife had dishes in the dishwasher. Usually we would just break them down and load the dirty parts in the dishwasher, oil them up and reassemble. :wink:

jgt

Buckeye
My rimfires get cleaned after any range session otherwise they get cranky. I do not clean rimfire barrels until their groups start opening up or until I deem it's just time. Then they get re-seasoned before serious use. The center fires revolvers get cleaned after every range session, but not after light use meaning if they are on a trip where they might get shot every day but not a lot each day. Under those conditions they get cleaned when they need it. Like if they get wet or subjected to dust. Semi-autos get cleaned after every range sessions and as soon as can be scheduled after each use. Hunting rifles get cleaned after each season and after hunting sessions or range sessions the rest of the year. I try not to get into a situation where I have to hunt without a couple of fouling shots through the barrel of a hunting rifle. Lever action and shotguns get cleaned when I deem they are due but not after each time they are fired. After a range session yes, but working guns get cleaned when they need it but not after each time they are fired.

Latest posts