XRN-3RED grip frame; 'short frame' question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi all,
I've read that Ruger used the XRN-3RED 'short frame' (1/4 inch shorter than the XR3-RED grip frame) on their single six 32 mag Vaquero. I have seen 357 magnum Ruger Vaqueros, though, with the same short grip frame, which were factory fitted; they came that way from Ruger and the serial numbers were from the last year of production in 2005. Does anybody have any idea how many were made like this? Were these some sort of 'clean-up' 357 magnums, whereby they were using up whatever parts were on hand?

chet15

Hawkeye
First I've heard of them doing that... doesn't make much sense for Ruger to have done that on a .357 since the short grip frame was done specifically for women and kids in the .32 Mag. for SASS contests etc.
I wonder if Ruger made a mistake in fitting those to .357's? Good luck in getting Ruger to letter something like that, because it would be a specific .357 Vaquero model.
Secondly, Ruger made plenty of short frame .32 Mags. Doesn't make much sense for them to not have used them all up on the .32's, even if in "cleanup" mode.
If you have a serial number example, plug it in on Ruger's website and see if the model number comes up any different than a standard .357 Vaquero.
Chet15

SJ, how sure are you that "they came that way from Ruger"? This could easily be another example of the "screwdriver variation" syndrome we see quite frequently. Not questioning that you saw such guns, just their actual origin.

And if these did, in fact, originate at The Factory, they could easily have been a result of a few leftover short frames getting installed without record . . . although they'd have had to have the proper grip panels installed, so that would make an "accidental" fitment seem unlikely.

If they were a factory fitment on a very low quantity, they might not have even bothered with a different model number.

Interesting. Hope more info becomes available.

:mrgreen:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Thank you both for the info!
Model number was 10514 on the matching boxes and they did have the smaller white plastic grips. I'm now thinking you are right, Ale-8; somebody changed out the grip frames on standard 357s to the shorter ones for a lady or junior shooter, and the secondhand buyer who showed them to me didn't realize this.

chet15

Hawkeye
Sacramento Johnson said:
Thank you both for the info!
Model number was 10514 on the matching boxes and they did have the smaller white plastic grips. I'm now thinking you are right, Ale-8; somebody changed out the grip frames on standard 357s to the shorter ones for a lady or junior shooter, and the secondhand buyer who showed them to me didn't realize this.

The 10514 was a Talo .357 old type large frame Vaquero with "BIRDSHEAD" grip frame.
The Birdshead grip frame is quite different from the "short" grip frame on some of the .32 Mag. models.
Chet15

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Yes, old type large frame Vaqueros. I guess the original owner took off the birdshead grip frames and put these shorter grip frames on them.
Thanks to all!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sacramento Johnson said:
Hi all,
I've read that Ruger used the XRN-3RED 'short frame' (1/4 inch shorter than the XR3-RED grip frame) on their single six 32 mag Vaquero. I have seen 357 magnum Ruger Vaqueros, though, with the same short grip frame, which were factory fitted; they came that way from Ruger and the serial numbers were from the last year of production in 2005. Does anybody have any idea how many were made like this? Were these some sort of 'clean-up' 357 magnums, whereby they were using up whatever parts were on hand?

SJ,

The XRN-3RED grip is not the short grip frame: It's the Large alloy (Old Model #XR3-RED size) w/o lock: Early versions are marked NXR3-RED, Late versions are marked XRN-3RED.

The Short blue steel 'Vaquerito' .32 grip frames (3/16" shorter in length than the XR3 and XR3-RED sizes) are marked A (in a square) XR-3. If ordered as a separate part, marked 302 A (in a square).

I could believe they were the Short (horizontally) blue steel (OM #XR3 size), 1/8" closer to trigger guard than the OM #XR3-RED size, but only 7/16" thick, used on the New Vaquero and New Flat Top BHs, and should be marked A (in a square), no other marking observed; w & w/o lock.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi Hondo,
I was going by the information on this web site:

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

2001 XRN-3RED "short" frame, about ¼" shorter than standard 1972/73 XRN-3RED. Single-Six .32s w/ Vaquero sights, stainless frame marked KXR3 like standard stainless frame. Steel, blued; stainless steel Rosewood, simulated Ivory. Raised silver with black background Ruger eagle medallions. Current production

These do have an A in a square in a circle on the grip frame and 302 on them. No XR3 on them. There is also a partial serial number on the grip frame which does NOT match the gun. They match Vaquero grip frames except for being shorter. They are not New Vaquero grip frames.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I'm afraid the information here: https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm has inaccuracies. I've been researching grip frame #s for my Ruger book for some years now. I can send you correct #s for all Ruger grip frames if interested.