Ammo in American Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

csnider

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have any experience running Hard Cast Lead Flat Nose rounds through their American in either 9mm or 45acp? This type of ammo is offered by Buffalo Bore in their "Outdoorsman Load", and similar rounds are also offered by Underwood and Double Tap.

I have run all of the above through my Kahr CT380 and P9 without any issues, but they are not reliable in my Kahr P40 or T40. Tim Sundles, the owner of Buffalo Bore, mentions the same issue in a Kahr PM40. I am looking for a larger caliber and have been looking at the American 45acp is the reason I am asking this question.

Any input would be appreciated.

csnider

I will also watch for replies to your question.

I have an American pistol. It had been flawless in operation. I bought my boy his choice of pistol not long ago, and he also chose the American pistol.

Then the plot thickened somewhat. Bought a case of Remington 124gr brass jacketed hollow points. His gun had multiple failures to feed with this stuff. I figured the failures were isolated to his new pistol. But when I tried it, it I also suffered the first misfeeds I've ever had with my pistol. Seems as great as the American is, there is at least one style of bullet that wont feed. It's smart to know if there are other styles that will jam.

jasper661

Bearcat
The American is a bit fussy about the ammunition it likes. My American .45 would not reliably feed cast semi-wadcutter bullets, the same stuff I had been using in my 1911 pattern guns for the last 50 years. I went to a Lee truncated cone design in a 230 gr. cast bullet and that worked very well. I also tried one of the Lee RNFP bullets and as long as I seated the bullet a bit deep, just above the crimp groove they would feed.

In the RNFP design of bullets there are variations in the ogive, and according to my other sources the bullets that Buffalo Bore uses has a different ogive than the Lee bullets and tend to feed reliably in a number of semi-auto pistols.

I have taken a number of bears with the .45 ACP and I feel there are better alternatives for the person who does not reload than the very expensive Buffalo Bore and Underwood speciality ammunition. Winchester makes a 185 gr. TC bullet for the .45 and American Eagles has a 147 gr. 9mm load that would make good woods carry ammunition.

grobin

Blackhawk
I use Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman in several different 9/10mm Pistols with no problems a friend uses it in his 9nm American with no problems. But as you know YMMV!

Aqualung

Blackhawk
My American .45 does not feed my 230grn cast lead RN loads. Actually, they feed well, but do not fully chamber. I haven't micced my rounds to see if they're out of spec, but my P90 runs through them like popcorn.

My 230grn XTP loads feed and shoot really well.

Aqualung

Latest posts