Tight chambers in my Ruger bisley 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
A few years ago I bought a nice old Ruger Bisley 22 with the drift rear sight. I just got it out and started shooting it some. At least 3 of the chambers are too tight. If you push a shell in ( force it) and fire it you have to remove the cylinder and tap the hull out with a nail or punch. Who could I send the cylinder to and get it fixed?

xtratoy

Buckeye
I would call Ruger and explain what is happening. They will probably send you a shipping label for you to send it back for repair.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
.22 chambers can be infamous for that in both Rugers and Smiths.

Very easy to fix if one doesn't mind working on their own gun. Slit the end of a Chinese food chop stick, place a strip of 400 grit paper in the slot, wrap it counter clockwise until it just fits in chamber, spin it with a power drill for 5 seconds per chamber moving it in and out, and problem solved.

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:

Very easy to fix if one doesn't mind working on their own gun. Slit the end of a Chinese food chop stick, place a strip of 400 grit paper in the slot, wrap it counter clockwise until it just fits in chamber, spin it with a power drill for 5 seconds per chamber moving it in and out, and problem solved.

Hmm... I am tempted to try this.
I just got around to calling Ruger. They will fix it (I suppose free) but I have to send the whole gun in and pay shipping to them. I am not real crazy about sending in the whole gun. I was hoping I could just send the cylinder in. I am wondering if they just slap a new cylinder in and mail it back?

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Yes, that's what they would do.
My cylinder is fluted and a while back I bought a non fluted 22 mag cylinder for it off the forum. I would hate for them to replace my cylinder and it be a non fluted 22 LR that I could not tell from my 22 mag cylinder.

xtratoy

Buckeye
With Ruger not being willing to send a prepaid return authorization I would take Hondo's advice. If that seems to drastic to you ,you could also try wrapping a 22 cal wire brush with some 000 or 0000 steel wool and using a polishing compound like Simichrome to polish up your chambers.

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
xtratoy said:
With Ruger not being willing to send a prepaid return authorization I would take Hondo's advice. If that seems to drastic to you ,you could also try wrapping a 22 cal wire brush with some 000 or 0000 steel wool and using a polishing compound like Simichrome to polish up your chambers.

Is Simichrome something that can be found easily? I will look at our hardware store and Wal-Mart tomorrow. Are there other metal polishes that I could use if I can't find Simichrome

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:

I worked on my cylinder with the sandpaper and a wooden dowel today. I got it working a lot better and accuracy seems to be the same. :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:

Yep. But I'd recommend using wet/dry paper with a little cutting oil.

Crazy Horse said:
Hondo44 said:

I worked on my cylinder with the sandpaper and a wooden dowel today. I got it working a lot better and accuracy seems to be the same. :)

Good deal!! Got at least 2 Single sixes I never shot gonna have to check them out!
Thanx, ps

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
Crazy Horse if you haven't gotten your cylinder sorted yet I do have a chamber reamer that will fix the issue.

Latest posts