Talo Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tyler4656

Blackhawk
I thought I might chime in and drop my two cents worth. We were the contractor on the Color Case Work. Color Case is harder to photograph than an ADD toddler. It's receiver was done one at a time in our furnace. I was extremely pleased with this batch overall and intend on buying one myself.
As far as the ejector rod housing I assume it possibly could've not been tightened down quite tight enough or possibly vibrated loose in transit. I have not seen any quality control issues on my end.
I think this will be a pretty neat run and from what I've heard it's pretty limited availability. Thanks again Bobby

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
The Talo advertising pics as seen above show the gun with laminate grips, but all of the new ones on Gunbroker show it with solid wood. I think the laminated grips look better.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well, I picked up the gun today. Very happy with the Case Coloring, not so much the grips. They seem to be made from the same wood as the stock on a 10/22, probably stained birch. I have a set of Ruger Rosewood laminates on order.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I decided to put Micarta grips on the gun. The light tan originals looked not so good.

newgun.jpg

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Now, looking at the gun in better light, I see this one has the gap as well. The screw is tight. I'm guessing they will all be like that.

gap.jpg

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Looks like others have had the same problem with Vaqueros as far back as 2008, and there does not appear to be a fix.

reports.jpg

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I just picked up mine today, it's the Talo, Illinois bicentennial, stainless steel, also with the gold trigger and hammer, erh is a perfect fit no gap, no complaints with this vaquero.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
pleadthe2nd said:
I just picked up mine today, it's the Talo, Illinois bicentennial, stainless steel, also with the gold trigger and hammer, erh is a perfect fit no gap, no complaints with this vaquero.

You're a lucky guy!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I have a couple of New Vaqueros. The housings fit properly.

I believe the mis-fit of housings with the gap is a new problem (as well as the front sight gaps). I agree with those above that the attachment screw hole in the barrel is drilled out of alignment with the socket for the housing in the front of the frame, IF the front sight is straight up and down.

I've seen this poor fit when a barrel is turned slightly to correct the windage point of impact. If you have a barrel out of the frame, screw it in loosely and turn it slightly to right or left, the gap will appear on the top or bottom of housing depending on which way the barrel is turned past top dead center of sight being straight up and down.

I would send the gun back to Ruger. It won't cost you anything and they'll send a free shipping label. You'll have the gun back in 12 days. They need to be made aware of the problem and it'll be interesting to see how they fix it; probably a new barrel.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Thanks for that insight. I wrote Ruger and they are sending a new housing that I'm almost certain will have the same issue. They said if that doesn't fix it then send the gun in. I'm a little leery about changing out the housing, do not want to scratch the barrel. Will let you know the results.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SteelBlue said:
Thanks for that insight. I wrote Ruger and they are sending a new housing that I'm almost certain will have the same issue. They said if that doesn't fix it then send the gun in. I'm a little leery about changing out the housing, do not want to scratch the barrel. Will let you know the results.

I agree that won't work. All the Ruger housings are exactly the same. The socket location in the front of the frame varies by frame size so any ruger housing fits any frame and barrel size. If they don't fit right, it's the drilled and tapped attachment screw hole location in the barrel.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I had read elsewhere that the reason for the gap was due to a slight taper in the barrel. Not sure I buy that either.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Why did they publish that photo? The whole deal about that gun is cosmetic. It does not look good. And, do you really want a gun with Faux Case Hardening? And Faux ejector rod housing fitting?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
It is not faux case coloring, it is done in an oven by Tyler Gun Works, and that's why I bought one. Bobby Tyler is a member of this forum, and I think he might disagree with your comment.

Latest posts