RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:09 pm 
Hunter

If you are able to function without the surgery I would be okay with postponing it. I fell and broke mine. No choice. Some nurse told me that the emergency surgery was/is (??) harder than picking a date to have surgery as your hip joint is slowly wearing out. I broke my hip may 19 and am still on the walker. Hate to tell you this but I dont think I have been through worse and I have been through many other tough events.
Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Both my father had hip and a replacement, my wife had both knees and a hip and a hip replaced. They both say the hip was easier than the knee replacement. I've only had one knee replacement and it took me over seven months to be anywhere near normal. A friend of mine had the same surgery a day after me and was back to hiking in 10 weeks. Recuperation depends a lot on the patient. In my case they told me it's because I have diabetes that it takes a good bit longer to heal. They didn't tell me that before the operation.

I don't know about hip joints but a year and a half later I'm still getting by with my non-repaired knee by having euflexxa injections about every four or five months even though this knee is just as bad as the replaced one was.

Generally injections into worn out joints are a stop gap on the way to replacement surgery. In my case both injections and replacement worked. Starting with two badly worn knee joints I opted for surgery in one but as it turned out it looks like I could have avoided surgery for quite a while yet because the injections are still working in the unmodified knee.

If nothing else injections might get you past the busiest season. If you haven't tried it you might talk to your doctor about it. I found that rheumatologists tend to go with injections more than surgeons do.

Whatever you decide and do I hope it works well for you. I know the hell that worn joints can give a person.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member