New Super GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deac45

Single-Sixer
I've been hoping Ruger would do this for a long time. Redhawk upper with the more tuneable two spring action and grip stud frame of the SP/GP/Super style. I don't really care for this race version though. Do it in stainless, 4" or 5" barrel in 45 Colt and I'll buy one.
It figures they bring this out now...I just bought a 4" 45 Colt Redhawk.

CZReverend

Bearcat
I'm waiting for the 20 round Super GP-100 on a redhawk frame in 327.

I kid, I kid . I think it will appeal to a more "tactical" group. Im curious how the action feels on one of these custom shop guns.

LAH

Buckeye
The new Super GP-100 at 48 ounces is a big boy.

s4s4u

Hunter
Laserbait said:
I really wish they hadn't called it a GP100. It's a SRH in 357, call it what it is.

I think they just wanted to differentiate from the visual of the frame extension on the SRH, which is equally loved and hated by many.

OM SB

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
Remember, they ran into "crowding" problems when they brought out the ill-fated seven-shot GP100.

Please explain the "crowding" problems to me. I have not heard anything about this, and the 7 shot .357 GP100s are still listed in their catalog. Thanks.

scubadad

Bearcat
There were some issues on the early ones with rimlock in the cylinder. Several were measuring rim diameter on their ammo to find the smallest od to keep the cylinder from locking up.

I was going to get one but just went with the old standard 6 shooter and don't really miss the extra round. I do believe that ruger has fixed the issue.

OM SB

Bearcat
scubadad said:
There were some issues on the early ones with rimlock in the cylinder. Several were measuring rim diameter on their ammo to find the smallest od to keep the cylinder from locking up.

I was going to get one but just went with the old standard 6 shooter and don't really miss the extra round. I do believe that ruger has fixed the issue.

Thanks much. I was just doing some more reading in the revolver forum here and found a thread on the rimlock. I am surprised I have not heard of this on other forums I visit daily. Still reading, but I am curious as to what Ruger's "fix" is for this problem. I have an early (-4) 7 shot S&W L frame .357 and have not encountered the problem.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This is the 'Peg Grip' that is being talked about.

My question is what's with all the slots in the outer housing? Never saw that before. :roll:

coach said:
Isn't that the same frame that's always been on the GP?

Yep, and was incorporated into the SRH as well. Gives us considerable choice of aftermarket grips in addition to eliminating the "single spring" action of the Redhawk.

Looking at the picture, one can essentially see that the "new" gun is simply a SRH with the front end modified to be like the current Redhawk's "tube and sleeve" barrel arrangement. Clever bit of work, IMHO.

:mrgreen:

"My question is what's with all the slots in the outer housing? Never saw that before."

Pretty handy to have an expedient cheese grater in a wilderness shredded cheese emergency,

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
arfmel said:
"My question is what's with all the slots in the outer housing? Never saw that before."

Pretty handy to have an expedient cheese grater in a wilderness shredded cheese emergency,
I'm just wondering if all the regular GP-100's are going to get the 'cheese grater' mod? I might have to trade in my old GP for a new 'cheese grater' model just to be cool. :D :mrgreen: