RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trap, clay shooting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 pm 
Single-Sixer

The Conservation club I belong to has started doing a trap shoot once a month and I thought it sounded interesting. I don't own, nor have used long guns, so I'm with-out many clues regarding the proper or preferred gun (I assume low load shotgun) and the process of shooting clay. I thought I might get some insight before showing off my ignorance at the club.
Anyone here do that? Offer thoughts plz.
Thnx in advance.

I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motorsikle

Post subject: Re: Trap, clay shooting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 pm 
Single-Sixer

Don't be embarrassed, go to the club and tell them you want to learn how to shoot a shotgun. There will be people there that will help you learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:20 pm 
Hunter

First are you sure it is trap?

Trap, the birds go out and away.
Skeet, the birds go across left to right/right to left.

Trap is easier to learn but harder to master. Both can be shot with a regular field semi auto. Trap can be a pump or single shot.

Like most things it can get as complicated as you let it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 pm 
Hunter

http://scskeet.com/Beginner_skeet/Beginner_Skeet.htm

http://www.shootata.com/Portals/0/pdf/R ... ndbook.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:43 pm 
Hunter

Funny you should ask---I have been meaning to get back into clay shooting after about 25 years of "life" being in the way. I took my grandson to a local club last night. It was his first time and my first time in a long time. Tuesday and thursday are public nights so we just went and asked a bunch of questions. It was much more crowded than I had anticipated which meant taking a bit longer to getting around to actual shooting. This was fine because it also gave me plenty of time to ask questions of lots of people. It turned out the crowd was due to last minute practicing for lots of local High School kids because the state finals are tomorrow. We ended up shooting with some really outstanding young men. It turned out one of them lives right down the street from me and several others were from close by and attend the same school my son went to. All 3 of these young men hold an average of 24.5 and after the state finals will be traveling to Michigan to compete in the nationals in a few weeks. I think we learned some from each of them and they in turned learned a bit from me. The one thing that really struck me was how all of the kids we had contact with seemed to be great kids. By this I meat that they were respectful, nice, happy to share what they know, and generally great young men. They had a good laugh when they asked me what I was shooting and how old is was. My old Wingmaster was my first firearms purchase back in the late 70's. I was amazed when they both commented on how worn my slide looked and speculated on how smooth the action must be. I offered to let either give it a go for a round but it turned out one was shooting the same field grade wingmaster. They both commented on how far I was letting the birds get before I would shoot and why I was pulling up from the hip and not a mounted position. I asked if either had ever hunted live birds, which sadly neither had ever done. I explained that with a hunting lab most shot are going to start with birds flushing at 40 yards and going out from there. Same reason for why I pulled up from the hip after saying pull. A wild rooster pheasant is not going to hang around for you to mount your gun, or for the smart old lab to bite it in the butt.

As far as advice, I would say just take what you have to shoot, buy the cheapest light weight shells you can, and ask a bunch of questions. Everyone is friendly and ready to help. You don't need an $800 or $1200 shotgun to have just as much fun as everyone else out there. I would also highly recommend a belt pouch for holding your shells. We had 2 of them for 3 of us shooting, but were quickly offered a loaner when they saw shells coming out of a pocket. The club also seemed to have plenty of loaner shotguns or offers from individuals for us to use theirs. Even though the 2 we were shooting with both just graduated, they were all about encouraging my grandson to get involved and get on the High School team. The also mentioned that they love to encourage anything and everything to to do with the shooting sports, just to spite the gun grabbers in administration at their school. Boy did it feel good to hear this from some fine your men. Really gives you hope for the future of the firearms sports. :)

We will definitely be going back for more fun. I am hoping to try and make it twice a month. Oh ya, while the 2 young men shooting with us both were having a fun evening, they also managed to casually shoot about 22 or 23 per round while I shot a consistent 17 or 18. :D

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:24 am 
Hawkeye

If it IS trap, and not skeet, EVERY bird is a straight away for one of the
stations (the birds come out in one of five angles). All you have to learn
is the amount of lead (or none) plus the elevation (bird is rising for the
first few seconds), and you know where to shoot for a hit. 8)

All that simple, until you have the shotgun in hand. :roll: . :wink:

:D

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:50 am 
Single-Sixer

Thnx for the insight. Yes, it's TRAP shooting. I'll be giving some time to this. First thing is to go and chat. Thnx again.

I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motorsikle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:23 am 
Hawkeye

My gun club has a lot of shot gun shooting... both trap as well as skeet and also 5 stand. Years ago when I was joining I had to take a walk through of the club and the guy doing it was explaining that they hire high school students to load the devices that throw the clay pigeons during the matches....then he explained that each pigeon thrower only holds 750...... I had him repeat that. Seems our club purchases several tractor trailer loads of clay pigeons a year.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:52 am 
Hunter

blume357 wrote:
.......... Seems our club purchases several tractor trailer loads of clay pigeons a year.

Pretty normal for any decent-sized club. A normal evening for me is 150 targets - 50 16-yard, 50 doubles, and 50 skeet. That alone is over 1 case of targets (135 per case).

Some guys will shoot 100 per evening - usually the guys who shoot only skeet, sometimes the guys who do 50 16-yard and 50 handicap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:26 am 
Hawkeye

I took my brother to one of my clubs shoots and he had a great time killing those poor skeet.... after about an hour of watching him an others shoot... my shoulder hurt. I'm not making this up.... good my wife and I never had children.

A number of years back a group of friends and I stopped at a range on the panhandle of Florida .... couple guys wanted to shoot the rest of us were just along for the ride but needed to be a part and so I got a great idea: (I have to give some credit to the guys from NPR's Car Talk)

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:50 am 
Single-Sixer

In trap the machine oscillates almost continually from side to side. There is an interrupter switch that randomly stops the machine. If there is no wind the birds will be the same height each time. Divide house into 5 spots to hold on when you call for a bird. Hold on LS on station one and move hold point on each station Half way between LS & center on sta. 2. center on 3, half way between center and RS on 4 and on RS corner on 5. Keep your head on the stock and follow thru on every shot. If you shoot with one eye hold gun on leading edge of house, 2 eye shooter hod gun a little higher.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:19 am 
Buckeye

view the video tape............. trap shooting with lee braun. it was done in 1965 and is as solid today as it was then.
its all youll need to learn trap.

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:48 am 
Blackhawk

I finished up with a 10 week trap league several weeks ago, now in the middle of a 6 week 5 stand league. These have been the first league shoots I have done, we are having a blast. Trap can be shot with just about any shotgun. Better look out, it can be habit forming.