Need GP100 10mm cylinder length with case chambered.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OM SB

Bearcat
GP100 10mm owners: I need a favor from someone who has the 10mm GP100 revolver. I need to know the overall cylinder length from the back of a cartridge case to the front end of the cylinder. Jeff Quinn listed the cylinder length as 1.56" in his article, but I need to know the overall length from the back of the case so I can figure the maximum bullet nose length for 10mm Magnum. Thanks much.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
Just checked my Gp100 WC 3in. With Remmington 180 gr fmj green box..
Length of cylinder with loaded round seated [ with and without clip] is 1.65 in.
Bare cylinder is 1.55+.
The max oal of the 10mm mag is 1.555 so your biggest problem is enough bullet in the case for good bullet pull...
Also Jeff had one converted to 10mm mag so the cylinder is big enough.

OM SB

Bearcat
Thanks Groo. I had read about converting 10mm revolvers to 10mm Magnum many years ago when S&W first introduced the 610. But, as with many ideas, I did not pursue it. Now with the Rugers available it again looks tempting. I'm not clear on why you think case tension would be a problem. One of the reasons for the 10mm Magnum case is you can load longer, have more powder space and not have to long load standard 10mm cases which reduces case tension. I am thinking about 230 to 240 gr cast bullets with a .300" meplat, loaded to about 1050 FPS. Should have deep penetration and blow right through average size feral pigs. The bullet design I was looking at has about a .400" long nose in front of the crimp groove so I will have to do some calculating to see if it will work in the Ruger with 10mm Magnum cases. This will be a step up from 357 Mag and yet smaller and lighter than an S&W N frame. I have some of those and like them, but in my old age I'm about smaller, lighter and handier sidearms.

OM SB

Bearcat
Did the calculation, and that bullet in the the magnum case would take it right to the end of the cylinder. Looks like I will have to use a shorter nose. This is on Mountain Molds bullet design program. Need a few thousandths of clearance for safety factor.
Thanks again for the information.