What is the best bear gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman

Buckeye
To answer the title question......it would be whatever gun I can get to before the bear gets to me....... :idea:

Manchester

Bearcat
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5rLBDgKvL

Just relaying the article.

Personally I carry an Alaskan with HSM 45c bear loads when in bear country.

grobin

Blackhawk
The lesson to be learned here is that if you don't hit it you don't hurt it. The geologist's failure with the 357 was the only one and the most instructive. He apparently failed to use his weapon effectively and didn't apparently hit the bear.

Lesson learned, if you use it any Pistol, including 9mm pocket pistols, it will do the job.

¡Collary-if you don't have it, it doesn't matter!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I once used a Marlin M60 22LR to dispatch a bear. Although I fired the full capacity of the magazine of cheap hollowpoints, I'm pretty sure the first couple removed all the stuffing from center mass. A revolver may hold fewer rounds, but a hit is a hit.. So I'd recommend a 22LR from real-life experience.
:roll: :roll:

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
If defense is the thing .
You will most probably be fighting from your back.[bear are that fast]
So , as Cooper said , a 357 mag snub with armor piercing load.[aka non expanding /fmj/hard cast not plated bullet at full pressure]
Place under chin , in ear or eye and pull trigger.....

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
The biggest caliber you can reliably handle but nothing less than a .44 Magnum is what I would suggest. I sold my old 7 1/2", .44 Magnum, SS, Super Redhawk (did not put over 100 rounds through that magnificent revolver and I still regret selling it), but then I don't hunt bears! If I were foolish or serious enough to hunt bears, I would still have that as my backup piece.

If I were archery or muzzle loader hunting I would feel a little under gunned with a 45ACP as a back up sidearm for bear or other critter protection. A few summers ago I visited Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, Montana. A lot of the sales staff working there were part timers. Their primary profession was as big game guides. I talked to several of these fellas and to a man their first choice for a backup hand gun was a Glock 20SF. They liked the capability of the 180gr 1300 FPS 10mm heavy loads for bear, etc encounters. For me personally I will carry a 10mm, 44 spcl or 44 mag.

JMO

skeeter

Single-Sixer
If you son is comfortable with the Springfield and shoots it well, consider a 460 rowland conversion. 44 mag ballistics in a semi auto. Load it with your 45 acp Dies.

smith1961

Blackhawk
I am a police firearms instructor. I have carried all manner of semi-auto's to include the Glock. I currently am allowed a choice of duty weapon. I choose to carry a Sig P226R in 9mm. I am old enough to have carried Model 10 and 13 S&W revolvers when I first started out.

If I need a bear gun you can bet I'm carrying any one of my .41 Maggies or .45 Colt revolvers. If I'm getting charged, knocked over or rolling in the dirt, I don't wanna worry about stove pipes, FTF, popped mags, jams, etc.............
To each his own, M'erica
8)

Pal Val

Buckeye
Opened the string fearing the often-repeated messages. Not this time. Good! The popcorn is gone and the beer is getting warm, so my message needs to be short:

The best gun for bear is the strongest handgun you feel comfortable shooting under extreme pressure.

That's it for me.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Bigger is always better. Carry the biggest gun you can accurately control.