Ruger's smallest DA .45 Colt revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Is it much larger than the Charter Arms Bulldog XL .45 Colt?

I have the .44 Special Bulldog and quite interested in the .45 Colt version which is slightly larger than the .44

Would be great if Ruger would bring out one along that size.

Think that would be the Redhawk. Quite a bit bigger/heavier than the Charter Arms.

Redhawk weighs 44 oz, roughly twice the weight of the Charter. Longer barrel and six shots in the Ruger, though.

If you could live with another .44 Spl, you could get a GP-100 .44. Still a much heavier revolver than the Bulldog.

I can't name a Charter Arms 45 Colt beside the XL.

In the past Taurus has had an Ultra light 44 Special and an Ultra light 45 Colt. Occasionally you can find them on the used market.

I'd love to have one in 45 Colt, but have given up on that. I also don't mind 44 Specials. I have them in the Taurus Ultra Light 44 Special, Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special, Ruger GP100 and a Ruger flat top 44 Special. In the past I've also had a Taurus 431 and 441, and 441 Target model. All nice guns, look to be on the same size frame as a K Frame. Then there are the more expensive Smith 44 Specials 696 and 624. But I can't think of any other 45 Colts, outside of the N frame guns. I might have to try the Charter Arms 45 Colt XL. It's a lower pressure round.

Terry T

Buckeye
Here's a Taurus Titanium .45 LC on gunbroker.com:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/815205306

Unfortunately, it's been altered to DAO. Probably could be easily converted back to SA/DA.
I have one and it's a nice carry size - only 19 oz. unloaded. It fits in a 'K' frame size holster. It is what it is. Taurus double action could stand some work to smooth it up.
There is no comparable Ruger. There is some gossip that Ruger actually cast the titanium frames for Taurus but I can't confirm that.
Terry T

dfletcher

Blackhawk
NikA said:
Definitely more than buying this one that hasn't been converted: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818360881

I had no idea. Bought mine in 41 Magnum a few years back for $295.00. Damn it hurts to shoot - like hitting a ball wrong with an aluminum bat on a cold day kind of hurt.

The problem with Taurus is they make things "just enough". Meaning the springs are just strong enough, the hand and cylinder bolt are just thick enough. The engineering is fine, just beef it up and execute better. If Ruger could duplicate these size short barreled revolvers with 41, 44 or 45 (or 45 ACP) and especially in an alloy frame, would be something terrific.

Mus408

Hunter
I'm often tempted to grab one of those .45 Colt Bulldogs but then remember where they went big on the cylinder
throat size at .455+ and that could cause some leading issues with .452 lead bullets.

Mus, is the cylinder throat size a common problem. There's so little out there about the gun it's hard to know what is common. That is a very old diameter, I'm hard pressed to believe that they would intentionally do that as a marketing tool. If that's what it is, I'll walk way myself. I have the Bulldog in 44 Special and I'm good with it. But I like the 45 Colt. I just don't need the potential issues.

Mus408

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
Mus, is the cylinder throat size a common problem. There's so little out there about the gun it's hard to know what is common. That is a very old diameter, I'm hard pressed to believe that they would intentionally do that as a marketing tool. If that's what it is, I'll walk way myself. I have the Bulldog in 44 Special and I'm good with it. But I like the 45 Colt. I just don't need the potential issues.
Haven't seen or measured the .45 Colt version yet but from what I have read from owners Charter Arms used the high end of SAAMI specs on the throat size of the .45 Colt. and some have been .455.

Mus408

Hunter
Called my LGS but they didn't have any .45 Colt 'dogs in stock..would have to be ordered.
I wanted to hold one and compare to my .44 Special.

Haven't heard anything about leading issues due to .455 throat size. Seems nobody mentions it.
May get one of these soon just to have one!

rangerbob

Buckeye
BPJ, I bought one of the Charter 41 magnums when they first came out last fall. I plan to shoot 41 specials in it, when I get around to shooting it. I suspect the 45 Colt with standard loads would be a potent fight stopper. Bob! 8)

Bob, I suspect you're right. I think the C/A guns are more designed for cowboy action rounds, probably something in the order of 800 fps. I do think a 250 gr bullet at 800 fps, would certainly function well as a fight stopper. I don't have any experience with the 41 special, but even with a 200 grain bullet at 800 fps, should do the job. I suspect it's close to what Billy the kid, originally used though the bullet today is different. Course I think he also used a couple of other rounds including 38 special.

Mus408

Hunter
Got one coming so stay tuned for a review!
Checked all around my area and none to be found. Buds only place that had a few and at a good price
so it's on the way.
I'm sure it can handle any SAAMI Colt .45 load....some may be more comfortable to shoot than others!
All you really need is a 250 gr. wide meplat or wad cutter going 800 FPS.
Might also be great for some of those short case .45 Specials I have which are like a .45 ACP load!

Mus408

Hunter
Maybe perfect round for the .45 Colt Bulldog!
I made some of these up couple years ago...a 230 gr. wide FT that was trimmed out of a 255 gr. RNFT.
Loaded over 8.5 gr. Unique I was getting 880-910 FPS out of my 3.5 inch Uberti Birdshead .45 Colt revolver.
The hard cast bullet has sharp edge and a .385 diameter flat.

That ought to leave a mark! :mrgreen:
KtgNIFe.jpg