Alloy grip frames.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The thread about the polished SS grip frames has raised some question with me.

First off, I understand Ruger alloy grip frames are now ZAMAK rather than aluminum, is that correct? If so, does ZAMAK polish to bright silver when the finish is removed?

I know the aluminum frames did polish bright, not so bright as SS, but attractive enough to suit most who have tried this treatment.

Bob Wright

P.S. I understand the aluminum frames were alloy, too. And ZAMAK contains aluminum.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
arfmel said:
As far as I know, the Wrangler .22 is the only Zamak frame single action Ruger revolver.

I hope.

Some posts I've read elsewhere seem to think differently.

Bob Wright

(Later) There is some speculation that since the Wrangler's grip frame is ZAMAK and is cerocoated (?) that likely all alloy grips frames will be so made. This a cost cutting move.

grobin

Blackhawk
The findings I get for jewelry are generally a duller silver/gray. Most really high polished shinny are silver plated but Zamak takes a high polish and can be shinny depending on the exact alloy. It's very easy to silver plate though. By it's self you will not get the shine you get from SS, silver, nickel or chrome.

Well, we should by now know better than to be surprised by any misguided idea promulgated by bean-counters who run gun companies. But I hope that the speculation is incorrect.

grobin

Blackhawk
If Rugger provides CNC & printer files with releases/licenses then what's the problem? You could make y'r own from most anything e.g. titanium, SS, depleted uranium, gold, plsstic foam, .... Well using a gas, liquid or plasma would be problematic!

BrewsterII

Bearcat
Bob Wright said:
arfmel said:
As far as I know, the Wrangler .22 is the only Zamak frame single action Ruger revolver.

I hope.

Some posts I've read elsewhere seem to think differently.

Bob Wright

(Later) There is some speculation that since the Wrangler's grip frame is ZAMAK and is cerocoated (?) that likely all alloy grips frames will be so made. This a cost cutting move.

I'd sure like to know the answer to this. If so, the aluminum grip frames will start to bring a premium.

Enigma

Hunter
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would be very surprised in the rest of Ruger's single action revolvers don't eventually go to zinc grip frames and ugly MIM hammers and triggers. Note that I said ugly. They may, or may not, already be MIM parts; they doubtless will become ugly in time.

If they continue to offer aluminum grip frames, IMHO they will be restricted to states that ban sales of guns with zinc components.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I believe the answer will be that the zinc alloy grip frame is limited to the new Wrangler series. That's why it has a sprayed finish.

Although Alum alloy grip frames were anodized in a black color since the beginning and for many years, they have been and are now powder coated black for about two decades.

I suspect the melting temp for Z alloy is too low for powder coating and the grip frame would melt. And of course it doesn't have enough alum to be anodized. Besides, Z alloy parts on Ruger's standard product lines would cheapen those products.

We'll see what they say, Ale thx for asking Ruger.

OK, here we go. My inquiry was . . .

"Are all the single-action grip frames going to be made from zinc like that on the Wrangler?"

And I just received this response . . .

"Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
"Your Customer Service Issue # is XXXXXXXXX
"No, the other single action grip frames are made of aluminum or stainless steel.
"Ruger Customer Service"

Splitting hairs, you will note that my inquiry was referring to future offerings ("going to be") whereas the response was a present-tense phrasing ("are made"). Make of that what you will.

Guess we'll see. :?

BrewsterII

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
OK, here we go. My inquiry was . . .

"Are all the single-action grip frames going to be made from zinc like that on the Wrangler?"

And I just received this response . . .

"Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
"Your Customer Service Issue # is XXXXXXXXX
"No, the other single action grip frames are made of aluminum or stainless steel.
"Ruger Customer Service"

Splitting hairs, you will note that my inquiry was referring to future offerings ("going to be") whereas the response was a present-tense phrasing ("are made"). Make of that what you will.

Guess we'll see. :?

I seriously doubt the people in customer service know what marketing and the big wigs have in mind for future offerings. :) JMHO though.

It is a race to the bottom, as in most industries.

Edit: And no mention of steel (blued) grip frames.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Isn't aluminum the planet's most abundant metal? Why would Ruger jeopardize sales to its most loyal customer base by cheapening its perhaps most iconic product? It's not like single-action revolvers are the future's cutting edge and the world is desperate for them. Even if cost rises for aluminum, people who love SA revolvers will pay a bit more to get what they want. Degrading the product will lose sales and increase the market value for used guns. Seems like a, frankly, stupid move. (Although, since I have single sixes, I see no value in a Wrangler, either.)

Perhaps the Wrangler is a trial balloon. If so, don't buy one! LOL.

While I do not believe the current crop of single-actions (Wrangler excepted) are using the zinc grip frames, if they prove successful with the Wrangler I'd bet the bean-counters will be pushing to go that way on the other guns. The questions about the "parting lines" and proper finish will hopefully be considered as a perceived quality issue, however.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger's protocol over the last 60 years is to not make any production line changes (too expensive) to current models, unless the model is completely redesigned or a new model.

If they did, they certainly would have installed the chamber alignment system in their flagship 44 Mag Super Blackhawk.

May very well be, Jim, but substituting one grip frame for another is hardly a difficult change. At least, that's what I'd bet the bean-counters' position would be. I know you're familiar with the time-worn expression "all ya gotta do is just . . ."

:wink: :wink: :wink:

GaryA

Single-Sixer
If most people don't want zamak grip frames, then it seems a no-brainer to me that those of us who don't want zamak grip frames should absolutely NOT buy a Wrangler and encourage Ruger to think they can get away with it if they lower the price.

Latest posts