How Many RF Members Bought a GP-100 3” .44 Special and....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

How Many RF Members Bought a GP-100 .44 Special 3” and

• Plan on selling it?

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Bought it and put it away?

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sent it back to Ruger because of flaws?

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Sold it?

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Still own and shoot it?

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Would like to own one?

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Believe it was just a “fad” gun”?

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
Two or the years ago the GP-100 .44 Special 3" was a popular topic of discussion here and other shooting forums. I don't read much about them any more.

I bought one when they first came out and before I shot it, I sent it back to Ruger correct a front sight gap and some finish flaws. It was returned to me with the sight gap corrected and a beautiful stainless "buffing" job. Since then I reload for it and shoot it regularly.

Thel

Blackhawk
I bought one about a year after they came out. Never got around to shooting it as getting ready to move. Did send it off to Dave Clements for an action job and tritium front sight from Novak's. Looking forward to settling in and devoting some time to it. I would have much preferred it had been made in .44 mag like the S&W 69 not that I would be shooting many but just could if needed.

I bought one as soon as they came out, and put it on my table at a gun show. Somehow I forgot how much I paid for it and was thinking a lower price. I had no intention of selling it, but it was just to get people to come over and look at my table. Well a guy bought it, and I discovered I sold it for below what I'd paid for it. After a while I got another one, and it's going nowhere. They are a nice gun.

Rclark

Hunter
Keeper here as .44 Special is one of my very favorite cartridges. Mine has the 'gold dot' front sight. When shooting .44 Special I usually pick up my Single Actions, but occasionally now I'll get out the GP-100. It shoots well enough and no leading. I keep meaning to get a smaller wood grip for it as the wood grips currently on it are way 'oversize'. Especially for the 'under the shirt' wear scenario. No rubber grips for this revolver (or any for that matter).

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Would like to have one but here in canada it is prohibited because it is less than 105mm in barrel length.
I purchased a "Talo" single action .44 spl & love it...

Rclark

Hunter
Wonder who would up with 105mm ... Not 100mm but 105mm.... :) . Surpised it isn't 105.543mm or something :roll: . Of course the law itself shouldn't be on the books but that's a different topic. Yes the Single Action .44 Special are wonderful revolvers too.

flc

Bearcat
A favorite and one the two revolvers I carry almost daily. Recently saw the grips on the 7 shot .357 and think I would like to try them on my .44 but they are not at the Rugerstore/

Thel

Blackhawk
When looking for grips don't forget to check Ebay. There are a number of different configurations from Thai producers. I bought some round butt grips similar to these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebony-Grip-Ruger-GP100-Revolver-Dark-Brown-Handmade-Wood-Fit-Frame-Smooth-Glossy/323036244567?hash=item4b3675ea57:g:g38AAOSwqaJabcXw

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Bought one used (but looks like new), when I got it the seller says to me that it kicks pretty good, when I got home and was giving it a closer look I see that the front sight was bashed in, I figured that the shooter let the gun fly at the shot and smashed the front sight, no other damage was found.
Sent a note to Ruger and they sent me a replacement, now it's looking good again.
I also have and shoot a 5.5" Redhawk so recoil won't be a problem for me.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
Looked at one , saw it was 44 spec not mag, very heavy, got a Smith M-69 instead...

TJ11

Single-Sixer
GF bought one for me two years ago. Love it, I have a 5" S&W.44 mag but really like the 3" GP100. I do load for it as I don't see anything but cowboy loads at the stores.

Oyijf2D.jpg

gunman42782

Hunter
I bought mine as soon as they came out. Yes, I still have it, and shoot it regularly. It is a sweet shooter.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I just wish Trump would march into Canada & kick Trudopes butt out along with their stupid gun laws...
Then we could have some freedoms instead of all this privledge crap! :(
Sorry for getting off topic...

Rclark said:
Wonder who would up with 105mm ... Not 100mm but 105mm.... :) . Surpised it isn't 105.543mm or something :roll: . Of course the law itself shouldn't be on the books but that's a different topic. Yes the Single Action .44 Special are wonderful revolvers too.

Well, IMHO it was a not-so-subtle attempt to exclude all the various popular 4" handguns. 100mm would be 3.937" and wouldn't do the job so they simply moved up to a somewhat neat length of 105mm which is 4.134" down here.

And of course Ruger simply lengthened the barrels to 4.2" which satisfies the Canadian rules. That they didn't go to something more typical of our system of measurement like 4.25" appears to me to be a stick in the Canadians' eye over the issue.

:mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

Rclark said:
Keeper here as .44 Special is one of my very favorite cartridges. Mine has the 'gold dot' front sight. When shooting .44 Special I usually pick up my Single Actions, but occasionally now I'll get out the GP-100. It shoots well enough and no leading. I keep meaning to get a smaller wood grip for it as the wood grips currently on it are way 'oversize'. Especially for the 'under the shirt' wear scenario. No rubber grips for this revolver (or any for that matter).
The gold or brass dot front sight is a great modification for the Ruger GP-100 .44Special 3" barrel stainless model. Some shooters don't care much for the fiber optic front sight.

Thel

Blackhawk
Tommyhof said:
Not to hi jack, but wish they would make a 357 in the 3" with adj sights, have a 3" adj sight 38 and love it.

Ruger has made some 3" full lug barrel .357's with adjustable sights including the 1708 of old. There are also 7 shot .357's GP100's offered with an unfluted cylinder which are a distributor exclusive I believe. A few years back a number of .38 Sp GP's were released with an adjustable sight and would be easy to convert to .357 by boring out the cylinder a bit more.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818326310

a custom one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818625584

Latest posts