RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hip replacement surgery
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:34 am 
Hawkeye

Looks like this is not going to happen this year. I'm feeling the time crunch and getting a bit desperate with all the stuff I have left to do because of the weather. I had a feeling this would be the case from the beginning but the family convinced me we could make it work.
SURPRISE!!!
Not working. Even though no one seems to think I do much, I don't see how all the stuff I don't seem to do will get taken care of if I'm totally sidelined for a month and seriously restricted for another 3.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 am 
Hawkeye

Just do it. Stuff can wait. It was hard for me to admit it. I could have put off my heart surgery, but as one smart guy pointed out, you won't be any better if you wait.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:22 pm 
Hunter

I just had it done 5 weeks ago. I had fell and needed emergency surgery. Just the last four days or so I have started to get hope. Frankly it has been agony until just lately. You have to do what you have to do. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:23 pm 
Bearcat

Time to take care of yourself

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 am 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
Looks like this is not going to happen this year. I'm feeling the time crunch and getting a bit desperate with all the stuff I have left to do because of the weather. I had a feeling this would be the case from the beginning but the family convinced me we could make it work.
SURPRISE!!!
Not working. Even though no one seems to think I do much, I don't see how all the stuff I don't seem to do will get taken care of if I'm totally sidelined for a month and seriously restricted for another 3.

Walk a mile in your shoes? Perhaps Tom could pull more weight? Don’t wait till something breaks. Then it will HAVE TO BE DONE! Good luck!
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 am 
Hawkeye

Well, Tom's got some problems of his own and with his work, he's about maxed out. I've been expecting Grandson to pick up some slack but that's just not happening. I know what I was doing on the farm at his age and guess expecting that from someone else is unrealistic.
The year I was 14, Dad bought a rebuilt AC "rotobaler"(better known as "maneater"). It was delivered to the field next to my current house, the dealership guy helped me hook it up, and he left. We didn't live on this place at that time and I wasn't old enough to get a license, so Mom would drive me to the field and park in the shade while I baled hay. We baled hay "on the shares" on 4 or 5 farms at that time and by late July, I had approx 40,000 little round bales laying in the field. August was spent piling those bales before school started at the end of the month(I did have help for a week on that job).
Oh, almost forgot. We also had 60 acres of corn that I cultivated twice with a 2 row on a cantankerous old B John Deere.
That's pretty much when boy changed to man for me. Darned few kids in the current world would or could fill those shoes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 am 
Hawkeye

Yep, the Bar Mitzva at age 12—“today, I am a man”. We molly coddle our young now days. Good luck my friend! At age 8, I had my own mail order business.
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:33 am 
Ruger Guru

Mobuck, I had my left one done about two years ago, its now the strongest joint in my body. Check out the Anterior procedure, they go in from the front and do not have to cut any muscles like they do going in from the back. They just pull them apart to get in and out. Titanium parts installed. Walking with a walker 3 days after surgery and with a cane 6 days after surgery. In rehab 2 weeks and then home walking without a cane three weeks after surgery. I have even heard of quicker recovery when robotics used. No lifting precautions at all. Going strong after one month. If its got to be done don't wait too long.
FT44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am 
Hunter

Sounds like the Anterior procedure is the way to go! I had never heard of it. It`s five weeks now for me and I cant walk at all without a walker. My ball and socket broke right off in the fall. That`s different than planing on a operation than having one slowly wearing out I was told. I have been through a lot of physical injury trauma events but I believe this is the worst. I wasn't a athlete to start with and have always been overweight. In the five weeks I have lost around 35 pounds. No appetite but that started before this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 pm 
Bearcat

Mobuck, get it done don't wait, damaged my hip in a fall 20 years ago and it finally wore out to bone on bone, I endured the pain to long thinking if I waited it would last me a lifetime ( because I am young yet ), I finally cried uncle it was so bad, couldn't walk straight, couldn't get my work done and basically lived in misery waiting for surgery, Problem is running on a bad hip causes unwanted trouble elsewhere such as low back and knees, had mine done may 6th this year and right now feel like superman!!. Flattop44's experience is very close to mine and the Anterior method is the way to go for sure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Better soon than later. My wife had her hip replaced and recovered very quickly. Recovery is much quicker than with a knee replacement. The risk of waiting too long is that the replacement can become more difficult to do if too much bone is damaged.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Pre-surgery hospital visit this morning. This DR does the anterior procedure which I've been told leaves less muscle and connective tissue damage than the posterior procedure.
Clean bill of health from today's tests and interviews. One Dr asked if I "could walk 2 blocks w/o assistance". He seemed a bit taken back when I commented I could RUN that far w/o breathing hard. The male nurse in the room could barely stifle a laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 pm 
Blackhawk

My wife 2 knees 2 hips 1 total shoulder she can still kick my butt. All total replacements.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 am 
Bearcat

any ruger wrote:
My wife 2 knees 2 hips 1 total shoulder she can still kick my butt. All total replacements.

I would say that’s the true definition of Bionic !!!! When she runs do you hear the accompanying sound from the 70s bionic woman/man :mrgreen: series?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 pm 
Hawkeye

Well, the surgery is postponed/cancelled as far as I'm concerned. The kids have asked that I not formally cancel for two weeks so I agreed but only to make them stop growling.
I have run out of time. I need 14 days with minimal or zero precipitation to complete hay harvest and only 4 days of the next 14 not predicting rain, it's totally impossible to expect to be finished by 7/16.
W/o appearing disrespectful, it seems many of the "replacement candidates" have far fewer responsibilities than I and after some discussion of the results, maybe don't have nearly the expectations of their capabilities post surgery.