Redhawk 45 Colt VS 45 ACP/45 Colt ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OM SB

Bearcat
Is one preferred over the other? I see the 45 ACP/45 Colt is cut for moon clips, therefore is seems to me that the 45 Colt case rims will not sit flush against the cylinder where the chambers are cut out for the clips. Any problems with that? And why can't I use the forum search function at this time? Thanks.

OM SB

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply.

Finally got the search function to work. Apparently another difference between the 2 revolvers is the newer one has a sleeved barrel, which is in itself a point of controversy with some people.

NikA

Buckeye
The 45LC/45ACP Redhawk convertible, model number 5032, does not have a sleeved barrel. There have been plenty of gently used ones floating around. To my knowledge, all current production Redhawks have sleeved barrels, but the model numbers were updated to reflect this (new model number for 45 conv RH is 5050).

OM SB

Bearcat
NikA said:
The 45LC/45ACP Redhawk convertible, model number 5032, does not have a sleeved barrel. There have been plenty of gently used ones floating around. To my knowledge, all current production Redhawks have sleeved barrels, but the model numbers were updated to reflect this (new model number for 45 conv RH is 5050).

Thanks for the info. I went to Gunbroker and there are both models listed and I did find one 5032 with pics of the actual gun instead of a stock pic, and I can see the difference between that one and the newer 5050. Some of them list the 5032, but the stock pic is obviously the 5050. Probably taken from the Ruger website.

So if I decide to buy one of the 45 ACP/45 Colt models, now I would have to choose between sleeved or non-sleeved. It was easier when there was only one choice. So much to think about....

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I have an early .45 Colt/.45 ACP Redhawk, after having returned it to Ruger (twice) and receiving a new gun the 2nd time, I must say it functions perfectly (now). I will also say that beyond about 15 yards ACP ammo seems to lack the accuracy of the Colt ammo. But, I bought it because I have both types of ammo to shoot, and I enjoy shooting them. It serves my purposes well.

As to the sleeve; IMHO, sleeved (what I believe is more properly called "shrouded" rather than "sleeved") vs. "normal" is only important if you prefer one over the other. My main personal problem with the shrouded barrels is that it reduces Ruger's production cost, but they have increased the price. I don't believe that performance is affected much one way or the other. My preference would be for the least expensive version. If you prefer the older style, get it. If you prefer the newer version, get that. And if you prefer the least expensive one you can find, get that! Mine is not for sale.

Performance-wise, I haven't seen any evidence there is any difference.

contender

Ruger Guru
I thought I'd posted here earlier,, but apparently it got lost in the web outer space.

I have a Redhawk in 45 Colt/acp. The Colt cases fit fine,, and flush,, no problem.

OM SB

Bearcat
contender said:
I thought I'd posted here earlier,, but apparently it got lost in the web outer space.

I have a Redhawk in 45 Colt/acp. The Colt cases fit fine,, and flush,, no problem.

Thats's one thing I wanted to know. Have never seen one, just photos, I did not know. Thanks to everyone for the information.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The.45 Colt cases fit flush with the case rim against the cylinder face. The moon clips are thinner than the old Colt style clips. And do not interchange with any old style clips. But the Ruger clips don't require any special tools to load and unload. They are more expensive though. I only have a dozen of the clips for mine.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Two major challenges: 1) need for a mechanical aid to headspace .45 ACP in .45 Colt chamber, and then to extract, and 2) how to keep .45 ACP bullet on axis between case and chamber exit hole.

A separate .45 ACP cylinder, headspacing on the mouth, should put ACP accuracy on par with Colt accuracy.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
"As to the sleeve; IMHO, sleeved (what I believe is more properly called "shrouded" rather than "sleeved") vs. "normal" is only important if you prefer one over the other."
----BPGuy

Dan Wesson called his removable and adjustable barrel system a barrel with shroud. In general, the sleeve of a sleeved barrel is not removable, leastwise not at home. Competition in Handgun Silhouette proves a very high degree of revolver accuracy from standard barrel-to-frame mount, and by Dan Wesson's shroud system. In theory a sleeved barrel should be just as accurate, providing the orchestra of dimensions is correct.
David Bradshaw

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
David, your definition/explanation does make sense (removable = shroud, non-removable = sleeved). I have previously only heard of "sleeved" barrels as those on shotguns, where the original barrels were unusable for whatever reason and replacement barrels "sleeved" onto the original receiver. In other words, sleeved = replacement barrels, which are not removable either. I will have to keep this in mind. Thanks for your clarification.

cowboy77845

Bearcat
I see where Ranch Products offers full moon clips for the Ruger. Do they fit or, are they too thick? I seem to recall that someone said they are too thick to function in the Ruger.

Latest posts